Chapter 6 - Aftermath

Before chapter note: I'm very sorry to say but this is the final chapter of New Discoveries. I've decided that I'm doing a chapter song, so a song that is a song that I thought was good for the chapter while I listen to my writing playlist, yes I have one of those. So the song is Back To You: Selena Gomez

I will also be posting an author's note after this chapter is posted.

My eyes flutter open. Everything hurts. "Anna?" I soft, quiet voice says. I look to my left and I see my mother with a tear stricken face. She slides her chair closer. "Why." She whispers. "It wasn't my fault. He saved me and I was called a terrorist." I say, avoiding her eyes. "But the IMF could have done somethi-" "No." I voice says. I look up and I see Brandt, Benji, and Jane. "The IMF disbanded, initiated Ghost Protocol." Brandt says. I know he is having a tough time standing in front of the woman he thought was dead, but she's alive, her heart beating, her blood flowing. "If any of us were caught or killed, we would be branded terrorists. And that included Leah." Brandt continues. "No." My mother says, looking at me. She refers to me going by Leah Hunt. "Yes." I say, nervously. "But what's going to happen to Lea- I mean Anna?" My mother asks. "Well, while we were on the mission, Leah, or Anna talked to me and we made a...decision..." Benji says. My mother's brows furrow. "What....decision?" She says. "Well, we decided that she could be apart of the team, Brandt, Jane, and Ethan could train her, and we would release that Leah Hunt did indeed, survive the attack in Croatia and she is alive and well, living with her father." Benji says. My mother looks at me with disbelief. "What? Honey...You were conformed dead though..." She says. "Mom. I hate being Anna. I'm Leah. I'm a Hunt. I have to do this." I say. She grabs my hand and holds it in hers. "Honey, you are risking yourself if you do this. I'll never see you again." She says softly. "Not necessarily..." Benji says. "What do you mean?" My mom says. "Well, she could send up beacons or anonymous emails to you every so often so you know she's safe." He says. "Benji...You don't have to do this for her." She says. "Mom. I'm going to do it." I say. "We are going to be taking you in about a month once that wound heals up." Brandt says. I nod and smile. "Can't wait." They all start walking out the door but Jane stops. She stands right in front of me, avoiding my eyes. "Jane? What's wrong?" I ask. She looks up at me and a single tear falls from one of her eyes. "I'm going away, into hiding...I'll train you for about a month but I'm taking on a different identity. After a failed mission I contacted the IMF and I told them I wanted to quit. I couldn't do it anymore." She says. Jane walks over and kisses my forehead. "Thanks for helping. I'll miss you, Leah. but I'll never forget you. You saved the nation." "With the help of you, though." I say with a smile. "I'll miss you too, Jane. And tell my father I'll see him in a month."

Three Weeks Later

I'm watching some Marvel movies in my hospital room. I'm still recovering from that gunshot wound. It totally destroyed the muscles in my bicep. The door opens and I hear a female nurse speak. "She's in here." The door closes and I see my father walk in. I grab the TV remote and I shut off the movie. "Hey, Leah. I heard you made the decision." He says, walking to the window. "Yeah, but mom was scared- no petrified for me." "That's your mother." He says. "I had second thoughts." I say, staring at the cords and tubes on my left arm. "What?" Ethan says, turning around and looking at me with disbelief. tears form in my eyes. "I keep thinking, I'm not good enough. I'm not strong enough, I don't know how to do anything you can." Ethan is sitting on the foot of the bed. "That's because I've had years of experience." He says. "I know, but- Dad- I'm torn, "I'm broken, I'm a mess." I say with tears soaking my face. "You aren't a mess, you aren't broken." He says softly. "Why are you here anyways? I have one more week here. "Well, I talked to the doctors and they are letting you go early." "But I can't do anything like fighting." I say. "But you can hack and code." Ethan says. "Fine. Do you have clothes for me then?" I ask. He hands me my black leather jacket, blacked ripped jeans, an army print shirt, and my combat boots. He steps out of the room as I change. I brush out my hair and I leave it down for convenience. I step out of the room and close the door behind me. We both step into the elevator and we go down the floors silently. As we walk through the lobby, I look up to my father and ask him a burning question on my mind. "So why am I leaving here a week early?" Ethan looks down at me and hands me a flash drive. "I'm not the one to do this." He says. "Do what?" He looks deeply in my eyes. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it."

NOTE: Okay that ending was so stupid with the mission should you choose to accept it lol. I'm going to be posting an authors note right after I publish this, so please read it it has important info. -FairlyNewPotterhead