where wolves lie

I keep forgetting to publish theses so here ya go

Bubbles, will you stop fussing over my hair? Butch isn't going to give a shit how I look."

Letting out a titter, Bubbles puckered her lips as she brushed her sister's dark hair for the tenth time that day. "But you should look good when heading out with a guy."

"I always head out with guys and I never do my hair."

"But this is special. You're going out shopping instead of playing sports or whatever," Bubbles protested. "Like, y'know, a date."

"We're shopping for Socials supplies."

Bubbles sighed, setting down her brush and picking up her comb. "I wish you'd consider your looks for once, Buttercup," she remarked.

"I'm considering punching you," Buttercup snorted. "And first off, this is not a date."

"Oh come on. We both know you aren't going to hit me." Bubbles let her blue comb drift through Buttercup's black hair as she ignored her sister's second comment. "I picked out the cutest outfit for you."

"No frills, I hope," Buttercup muttered. "I can't stand frills. And I hope you're talking about my version of 'cute', not yours."

"Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you liked leather jackets last time I checked, right?" Bubbles giggled. She fluffed up Buttercup's hair and beamed. "Done~"

"You got me an outfit with a leather jacket?" Buttercup's eyes widened with satisfaction. But then her grin dropped. "No skirt though, right? Because I don't want Butch thinking...things."

Bubbles giggled again. "Oh, I see. Taking it slow, are we? Well, no skirt; I promise. Just some cute shorts. It's in your wardrobe."

Buttercup relaxed, but then her head snapped back upwards. "Hey, we are not taking it slow or anything! We don't...feel that way about each other!"

"We'll see soon enough. I'm just teasing you." Bubbles smiled cheekily. "Now stop shaking your head all over the place. You'll mess up your new 'do."

Buttercup scowled, but her eyes glimmered with amusement. "You are so cruel, Bubbles."

"I know," her sister replied airily, gathering her supplies and waltzing out of Buttercup's room. "I have a brand of teasing all my own." She flashed a charming smile before disappearing.

Sighing, Buttercup sat back down and shook her head. She paused then, remembering Bubbles' warning about messing up her hair. Stretching a tentative hand upwards, Buttercup tried patting her hair. She felt awkward and different.

Will Butch like my new hairdo? The thought raced through her mind, which she shoved aside. What the hell is wrong with me? He won't even notice.

Buttercup stared at herself in her mirror and grumbled in frustration, "Dammit, Buttercup; don't start acting like Bubbles."

Buttercup walked over to her wardrobe, where Bubbles had said she'd placed the "cute" outfit. Opening the closet door, she peeked inside. Her eyes brightened somewhat when she spotted the slick leather jacket and ripped denim shorts.