Chapter 12

Most of the month had flown by quickly. Castiel was currently packing his stuff up by his locker. Dean was going to be getting out of his last class soon. He felt so bad to leave Castiel again. He didn't want to because he didn't want someone to hurt him again. Castiel was wondering what Dean decided he wanted to do for his birthday today, but someone snapped him out of his thoughts.
"Hey! Cas!" He heard Dean call down the hall. They had only seen eachother for math class and at lunch, so the rest of the day they were by themselves. The football team was able to skip school today because they had a game. Dean ran up to Castiel and scooped him in his arms. He buried his face in Castiel's shoulder and took in his strong scent. "I missed you, baby." Castiel giggled at Dean's eagerness.
"I missed you too, Dean," Castiel whispered back, as he wrapped his arms around Dean's neck. Dean pulled away and placed a kiss on Castiel's lips, making people around them jealous. "Have you decided what we're gonna do for your birthday?"
"Yes. I have. Why don't we go get ice cream and take a walk through the park. I heard it's beautiful there because of how snowy it is," Dean explained. Castiel smiled at him and nodded his head.
"Whatever you wanna do," he smiled, making Dean giggle.
"Okay. Then let's get home." Dean wrapped his arm around Castiel's shoulder and began to walk out of the school, when they heard someone calling Dean's name. They stopped and turned around to be met with Ethan. Dean growled at the sight of him and pulled Castiel close to him, making sure Ethan couldn't touch him. "Ethan! I said you need to stay away from us! Get over it!" Ethan scoffed and rolled his eyes.
"But the thing is, I can't. I can't stop thinking about you and I can't stop falling in love with you," Ethan started, as he continued to walk forward, which only made Dean tighten his grip on Castiel. Castiel closed his eyes and started to hyperventilate into Dean's chest. He got as close as humanly possible to Dean, feeling safe in his arms. Dean whispered soothing and reassuring words to Castiel, as he kissed the top of his head and rubbed his back. "I can't stop thinking about why someone like you, is with someone like him. You're a bad boy, you're hot and you're cool. Him? He's a goody two shoes, he's worthless, a nerd, weak, and don't even get me started on his looks." Castiel heard Ethan's words and couldn't help but start to cry. Dean noticed how upset Castiel was and started to get furious with Ethan.
"You know what, Ethan?" He yelled, making people stop and stare. "I love him! It doesn't matter if he gets better grades than me, I'm proud of him! I'm not ashamed to be in love with him and to call him my boyfriend! He is not worthless at all! He is my smile, my laugh, and my world! Without him I don't know where I'd be! So you can take your words and shove them up your ass because I love Castiel fucking Novak! And I will never love someone like you! I plan on marrying this boy! So you can go to hell!" Dean finished. He grabbed Castiel and stormed out of the doors, leaving everyone in the hallway speechless, even Ethan. Castiel was still trying to hide his face in Dean's chest, clearly he didn't want anyone to see him cry. "I'm so sorry, baby. He's a jerk. Don't listen to him." Dean kissed the top of Castiel's head and rubbed his back some more. Castiel didn't say anything back, he just kept his head buried in Dean's chest. Dean sighed and scooped Castiel up, bridal style and started to carry him home.
"What are you doing?" Castiel asked, with his voice muffled a little bit, from being buried in Dean's shoulder now.
"Carrying you home," Dean replied, making Castiel finally look up at him. "There's those gorgeous blue eyes of yours." Castiel blushed like crazy when Dean said this. Castiel planted a quick kiss on Dean's lips and snuggled back into the crook of his neck.
"So, all those things you said back there...were they true?" Castiel asked, while playing with his hands.
"Of course they were. Cas, I absolutely love you. I'm head over heels in love with you. You make me weak in the knees," Dean whispered. "I want the whole world to know that I'm with you."
"I love you so much, Dean. But, did you really mean you wanna marry me?" Castiel asked hesitantly.
"Yea. I do, Cas and someday, I will." Castiel smiled and started to place small kisses on Dean's neck and shoulder. "Whatcha doing there?"
"Letting everyone know you're mine," Castiel giggled, making Dean chuckle.
"Okay, there. Well, we're almost home, so I wouldn't leave too visible of marks," Dean teased him. Castiel just giggled even more and continued to give Dean small kisses.

     Finally, Dean and Castiel were ready to go get ice cream together. Castiel had Dean's gift in his pocket, ready to go. Castiel was slipping on his sneakers, when he heard Dean on the phone with someone. Castiel tried his best not to listen to the conversation, but he couldn't help overhearing Dean's loud voice.
     "You know what, dad? I have been trying my best to get good grades and honestly, they've gone up! I don't need you calling me on my birthday to tell me what a failure I am! I'm not living under your roof anymore, so you can leave me alone!" Dean raised his voice, before ending the call. He mumbled something and started down the stairs. Castiel finished putting his shoes on and stood up, giving Dean a bright smile.
     "Ready?" He asked, trying to seem as casual as possible. Dean smiled at him and rolled his eyes.
     "I know you heard my conversation. Everything's fine. Now, let's go celebrate my eighteenth birthday," Dean replied. Castiel gave him a shy smile and nodded. They both said bye to Ms. Novak and started for the ice cream parlour.
     "So, are you excited to finally be eighteen?" Castiel asked, as Dean intertwined their fingers together.
     "Yeah. I can finally do what I want. Are you excited to turn eighteen this summer?" Dean asked, teasing Castiel a little bit.
     "Ha ha ha. Very funny. I know my birthday is a bit late, but let's not focus on me. Today is your day," Castiel said, while kissing Dean softly on the cheek.

     Castiel and Dean ordered their usual ice cream flavours and left to go to the park.
     "So, have you seen the park during the winter time?" Dean asked, as he licked his chocolate ice cream cone.
     "No, why?" Castiel replied, as he titled his head slightly to the left, in confusion, which made Dean go crazy inside.
     "I'm surprised. I assure you that it's beautiful." Dean smiled sheepishly at Castiel, before turning the corner. Once they rounded the corner, Castiel gasped. The park was filled with white, fluffy snow. Snow flakes fell gently, adding on to the piles of snow that were covering the grass.
"It's breathtaking," Castiel whispered. Dean kept his eyes on Castiel, watching his face fill with awe.
"Not as breathtaking as you," Dean whispered back, making Castiel look at him and blush. Dean and Castiel started to walk towards a bench, that was covered in snow. Dean wiped the snow off of one side of the bench, making a clearing for them to sit on. By now, they had finished their ice cream cones and were just enjoying each other's company.
"So, I got you a present," Castiel started, as he fished a ring box out of his pocket.
"You really didn't have to, baby," Dean replied, chuckling a little bit. Castiel pulled the ring box out and handed it to Dean.
"Now, before you panic, I'm not purposing. It's just a little something I picked up for you," Castiel said, as Dean opened the box. He smiled brightly when he saw a plain, thick, silver ring in the box.
"Cas, I love it. Thank you," Dean gushed, as he pulled Castiel into a deep hug. "And I wouldn't have panicked if you were purposing." Castiel giggled and pulled away from the hug. He watched as Dean slipped the ring on his right ring finger. "It fits perfectly," he smiled at Castiel. Castiel smiled at Dean and cupped his face with his hands. He pulled Dean into a long, passionate kiss, making Dean blush like crazy.
"Happy birthday, handsome," Castiel whispered, after he pulled away. "I love you."
"I love you more," Dean whispered back, making Castiel giggle and shake his head.