12 | SPIRABILIS

Our first-ever interviewee is a good friend of mine and the author of the brilliant and up-and-coming story, "Before Summer Ends", spirabilis aka Nicole

Our first-ever interviewee is a good friend of mine and the author of the brilliant and up-and-coming story, "Before Summer Ends", spirabilis aka Nicole. I say up-and-coming, but even that's an understatement because of how well-received it's been and how quickly it soared up the charts on Wattpad! Truly well-deserved, I would say. 

Today she speaks to us about how she got her start, bad-ass females, a Wattpad favorite of hers, and more! 

Bolded text are mine. Italicized text belong to the interviewee. Regular text are notes added by me!

* * *

Hi! Thank you so much for agreeing to this interview. To start off, please introduce yourself to our lovely readers. 

Hellooooooo everyone!! I'm Nicole, I'm sixteen and the most dramatic person I know. I'm about to be a senior in high school, but I'm not sure if that's at all relevant or if it's what you meant by introduce yourself. I'm rather uninteresting honestly.

Let's get right into it. How long have you been writing? When and how did you get your start? Was there a specific moment when you realized you wanted to tell stories? 

Words have been something I've always loved, even when I was a kid and everyone was telling me to shut up. I love that choice words, inflection or tone of voice can all portray a different feeling or mood. I love that you can take something someone has never seen before and describe it so they feel like they've seen it face to face!

I've been writing since I was pretty much like five. I'd sit down at my big desktop computer and write pointless stories and print them out, staple them together and pretend I was J.K. Rowling. I don't really think there was a specific moment so much as me just being like damn my two generic characters and all dialogue story is POPPING, I'm bringing this to my first grade teacher.

Walk us through what the writing process is like for you. Do you have any traditions or a specific set of steps that you follow, for example: do you start with the plot idea, then move to characters, or the other way around? Additionally: how long does the planning process take for you before you start writing and how long does it take to finish a story?

I literally have no method to my madness. I guess it all starts with having inspiration! Without feeling like I want to write I'd be forcing myself, and that just sucks and makes your writing suck. I like to draw from things I've seen or wanted, and basically make it so I can live vicariously through my characters and pretend I've been somewhere/seen it/had a certain lifestyle.

Sometimes characters come to me first, then I think of their story and why they are the way they are. That's usually my first thing, because a lot of the stories I write now are character driven rather than plot driven.