twenty-two || advice

Start from the beginning

"Hello Professor." She said anyway, as politely as she could muster, turning back to the dancefloor.

"Tonight is going well, wouldn't you say? I notice your friends have fell under the charms this dance seems to produce. I always find it interesting to watch young love unfold in tonight's events."

"Everybody is really enjoying themselves." Eleanor responded truthfully.

"Yet you are not."

Again, her eyes turned back to him. The warmth he expressed from his kind face that donned sparkling eyes to the posture of his stance, always welcoming, was one of the reasons a young Eleanor had admired him. Whispers of his power erupted the Great Hall every welcoming back feast yet there was never a hint of that in his appearance. When his voice met your ears you knew though, there was no way you couldn't believe he was one of the most powerful wizards when his wise tone spoke to your soul.

Those Slytherin characteristics that fizzled in her being had envied that ability. Which was part of the reason her own tone shifted when she spoke to the Professor, as if she was older than sixteen and had seen worse than simply mourning faces. "I'm just preoccupied."

"Is there anything I can help with?" Dumbledore questioned gently. Slytherin's either wore their heart on their sleeve or feelings are in the hardest to penetrate vault the world had ever seen, there was simply no in between. At that moment, being unable to help it, her distrust of the man flashed on her face and he let out a saddened sigh. "I'm aware of your varied opinions of me, Miss Archord. Regardless of them, I think very highly of you – you are a good person, a talented Quidditch player and a powerful witch."

"Thank you, Sir, but I don't think badly of you."

The man's eyes twinkled and his mouth let a small and sad smile appear. "Just of my decisions."

Eleanor's mouth gaped for a moment before she mimicked his grin. "I don't like to lie so it's probably better for me not to respond."

"You do remind me of two people I used to know. Like them, I'm sure you will internally roll your eyes when hearing my ramblings of advice. Alas I cannot help it. Life is short, as you sadly know all too well, and we mustn't spend it doubting ourselves. If every ounce of your being is telling you something then you must listen because, chances are, you'll be right. I hope that for you, Miss Archord, I hope you are always right and true."

"May I ask why you're telling me this?" Eleanor asked, her voice quieter than it had ever been before. Many times she'd been told things that had shocked her to the point of her voice shaking but this was a different feeling. She wasn't shocked, it was almost like realisation but not quite – either way, she couldn't put her finger on how to describe it.

"I suppose you looked like somebody who wished for some advice. Forgive me if I'm wrong."

"No, thank you, Professor." She quickly replied, increasing his smile. A part of her wanted to inform him that her opinion of him remained firm, but she decided to let him have a small victory for the night. Time would tell if the conversation would have any real impact between them but Eleanor, who valued actions over advice, doubted it. And, thinking of actions, she stood up and dusted the treacle tart crumbs from her lap as she did. "If you excuse me, I have to go."

Seeming to notice the crumbs, Dumbledore reached for one of the remaining ones that laid forgotten on the plate, pausing for Eleanor to give him the all clear which he received in nod form. She had to admit, she found him amusing on occasions. That occasion was cut short when he spoke again before eating his treacle tart, "May I ask if you're heeding my advice?"