The Empress

Splayed out on her back and drool dripping from the corner of her mouth, Kima's gargled snores came an abrupt stop when she felt the curtain of her window suddenly flutter open - a breeze from the window forcing light to cascade down on her face.

Shielding her face with her arm and her lips smacked together, her eyes started to drowsily open seeing the tinted skies stretched over the rooftops of the neighbouring buildings.

Her body stretched cat-like, yawning widely and her tongue curling between her teeth - the thought of laying-in clouded her mind... until she bolted upright remembering what had happened last night.

Springing from the bed she slid down the ladder and pegged it to the staircase - her eyes instantly seeing the chair still wedged against the door handle sighing heavily.

"Thank the Hermit..." She groaned, slowly taking the rest of the steps down and heading for the kitchen.

After brewing herself a cup of Jasmine tea she leant against the window frame looking out into the street - thinking over what happened last night.

Was she really going to go to the Palace? Was that even allowed?

She'd heard of the gate's opening for a party of some kind a few years ago held for the Count's Birthday; though she'd never attended - at least not that should could remember.

Stirring her tea idly, her thoughts automatically reverted to Doctor Jules and his...strange visit. Unsure why she'd recognised his face - maybe she had seen him before, if he knew Asra. That would have seemed a little awkward if she was supposed to remember him...

Kima closed her eyes for a moment remembering the look on his face when he'd heard what The Death card had to say. An unexpected force huh? Wondering if the Card was referring to Asra...

After downing her cold tea from daydreaming; Kima darted around the shop getting herself ready to go, completely forgetting to grab something to eat for the day...crap.

But she'd already locked up, so she ignored the gnawing sensation in her stomach - and started for the streets.

...

It was at least a days walk to the Palace, starting her way down the market street the sun already hitting the highest peak in the sky. The heat from the walkway radiating through her flat shoes as she dodged her way through the traffic of merchant carts and bustling crowds.

"Kima!" A familiar voice summoned her attention - turning to see the Baker waving at her from their stall.

"Ya hungry? Got a Pumpkin loaf in the oven - shouldn't be too long till it's done!" He called out to her.

Kima's ears and cheeks flushed, both from the heat and the embarrassment of her stomach roaring at the sound of food.

She could already smell the sweetly spiced bread baking away... She moaned slightly looking at the sky, if she was going to make it to the palace before nightfall...

"Uh - sorry I can't I'm in a bit of a hurry. Maybe next time!" She called back to him seeing him wink.

"I'll save you one for one your way back then!" He called going back to serving his customers that crowded his stall.

Kima half-heartedly smiled, her hand grasping at her stomach trying to settle the beastly grumble from within.

"Ugh - shut up... I know you're hungry." She groaned to herself, stopping suddenly to let a cart go past before continuing.

Her eyes widened before she took another step, when she saw flecks of a black and crimson red coat between the heavy crowds.

"No - no way..." she mumbled to herself walking a little further down the street, getting a better view.