•12•

+3RD PERSON
the gang looked around the sandlot as they realized both Benny and Bree were absent. "where are they?" Smalls asked. Squints chuckled. "probably in Benny's bed." the gang laughed but all came back to wonder. "i'll go check on Benny." Smalls said. "someone else check on Bree." Smalls then quickly jogged his way to Benny's house while Squints made his way to Bree's.

+benny's house
Smalls knocked on his door, Benny's dad opening it. "hi, Mr. Rodriguez. is Benny here?" Smalls asked. Benny's dad turned around. "he's in his room. i asked him if he was heading out but he said he didn't feel well. you can go see him if you want." he moved out of the way and Smalls walked past him with a fake smile.

he made his way upstairs and into Benny's room. he didn't knock, he just walked in. Benny was laying in bed. "dad, i said i'm not leaving bed!" Benny snapped. he probably heard the door open. Smalls thought. "um, Benny, it's me." Smalls said, awkwardly.

Benny turned around and sat up with a roll of his eyes. "what're you doing here?" he asked.
Smalls crossed his arms. "what're you doing here? i know you're not sick." he stated.

Benny looked down with a sigh. "i'm not in the mood for baseball today, alright. just... go play ball without me."

Smalls shook his head. "okay, when are you not in the mood for baseball? and we can't, we need a good pitcher and if you don't remember, DeNunez broke his arm."

Benny laid back down. "Bree pitches." he whispered.

"she's not here, either. Squints went to see her." Smalls said.

Benny sat up once more. "what?" he sighed.

Smalls sat on the edge of Benny's bed. "Benny, what happened? you're only like this if something happened between you and Bree. did she believe Phillips? about Ellie? i mean, you talked to her about it, right? she does know that he was lyi-"

"Smalls, shut up!" Benny took a deep breath and waited a few seconds before speaking. "Bree and i broke up last night."

Smalls gasped. "what? no way! what happened?"

"i don't feel like talking about it! leave!" Benny threw a pillow at Smalls and pulled the covers over his head. "now!" he demanded under the sheets.

Smalls sighed as he left his house.