14 | dance

i walk into the school dance, my eyes scanning over the dimly lit room, searching for my friends so i don't feel so awkward about my horrible dancing skills

once i spot my small group of friends that i always hang out with, i walk to them, a smile on my face and full of excitement.

i dance for a few hours, get a water, then dance even more. finally, i get tired, but the others still seem to be going on strong.

i decide to go to a booth and rest. i walk to the back of the party and sit down at an empty table, sipping at yet another drink.

i sit there for a while, and just as i decide i should go back and dance some more, someone sits across from the table.

i look over at whoever it was, and i realize it was a boy. he had dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. in simple words he didn't look so bad.

"can i sit here?" he asks slightly nervously, smiling a nice smile. i awkwardly smile and nod, not sure why he would want to sit at my table, but i just shrug it off and decide to stay, just so he doesn't think i'm getting up to avoid him.

we sit there for a minute or two, not sure what to say. finally, he speaks up. "do you want to dance?" he asks, even more nervously.

this catches my attention and my head turns to him in surprise. "um.. i can't dance.." i say shyly, not sure if i'm quite ready to show your horrible dance moves to an almost complete stranger.

"i can teach you," he says, smiling warmly and meekly."you sure? i'm pretty bad..." i say, letting out a hollow laugh. "yeah, come on, i can show you," he says, smiling even bigger and standing up.

he grabs my hand and pulls me out of the booth into the dance floor. just as he stops in the middle of the room, a slow song comes on.

he turns around, facing me with a half smile. "what a coincidence..." he says a bit sarcastically. "too bad i have no one to dance with..." "okay, fine, i'll slow dance with you," i say, laughing.

"yay!" he cheers, grabbing my waist. i blush and link my arms around his neck, avoiding his eyes. "so, I never got your name..." i say after a few seconds.

"it's river." he answers
"you?"

"y/n" i answer.

"that's a nice name," he says with a cheerful smile. i laugh and blush, looking down again, wondering if his face ever got tired from smiling so much.

"hey, don't look down. there's nothing interesting about shoes, is there?" he says, his eyes smiling. i laugh.

"i guess not," i smile slightly back at him."has anyone ever told you that you look absolutely beautiful?" he asks after a few seconds.

"not besides my parents...and you're not so bad yourself, either," i say back.

"aww, you think river is beautiful?" he jokes. i laugh, step away, and unwrap my arms from his neck just as the song ends.

"i better go now. thanks for dancing with me, i had fun," i say truthfully, but knowing deep down i didn't want to go.

"no, don't go!" he says, tugging at my hand. "just stay..." his face was only inches from mine, and the distance was growing shorter and shorter.

he turns his head as our lips gently meet, but only for a few seconds. he quickly pulls back, his eyes wide.

"i'm sorry, i didn't mean to.. uh, i'm sorry..." he says near to a whisper.

he starts to back away."no, i liked it.." i say, this time grabbing his hand and pulling him back.

i spin him around, wrapping my arms around his neck again and pulling him into a tight hug.

he tenses up at first, then eventually lightly rests his hands on my back as i bury my face into his shoulder. "it's fine," i say. we smiled, hugged and started to dance more.