04 | new school

i take a deep breath as i step into my new school, it sucks to start at a new school at the beginning of the year but starting school in the middle of the year is even worse

a few girls glance at me. they look perfect with their manicured nails, perfectly straightened hair and matching but not too matching outfits.

i sigh, this is going to be a long day. 

"alright, class, we have a new student. y/n?"  "y-yes y/f/l/n," i stutter.

a few giggles fill the room. i glance around to see three girls in the back batting their eyelashes at me. mean girls? i think so.

"nice to meet you, y/n. i'm Mr. Hensworth. you can sit there" he says, pointing at an empty desk in the middle row, "now, everyone take out their copy of the books."

i make my way to the open desk. i swing my backpack onto the back of my seat and pull out my pencil case.

Mr. Hensworth is talking about a new assignment when i hear a whisper. "do you need to share a copy?" i stare at the dirty blonde haired boy, surprised he actually cares.

"um, yes please, thanks."  he smiles and scoots his chair a little closer to me, opening the book.

is it bad i might like this kid? i mean he's sweet and offered to share.

"y/n, right? i'm river." i smile "nice to meet you." i politely say. "hey, it's rivers girlfriend" one of the girls from class sneer.

"i'm not his girlfriend." i rolled my eyes "my bad, i forgot why would he like you?" she said with an attitude.

"Kylie stop bugging her" i look around. river stood up with his backpack swung around his shoulder, he looks at kylie grimly as if he's telling her to move.

she merely shrugs. "your superhero is here to save the day" she says, "i'll leave you two alone."

"don't listen to anything she says." i laugh uneasily, thankful i didn't have to face Kylie.

"thank you river" i shyly smile. "no worries, i know what being the new kid feels like." he beautifully smiles.

                                >>

"no, river!" i laugh, grabbing my book back. river and i have gotten closer over the past few weeks, by closer i mean we are rarely seen without each other.

"why not?" he asks, grabbing my wrist. i pull away, but he pulls me closer until our faces are inches apart from each other. his breath tingles my face.

i'm not sure what i'm thinking as we both lean closer, butterflies in my stomach shoot to life as our lips lightly touch.
                                 >>  

"y/n!" river shouts running up to me in the hallways, i snap back to reality, "hey, riv!" i shout, trying to push the kiss that happened weeks ago out of my head.

"how was math? i heard that lesson is super hard." i try to push my hope out of my heart. "it was actually okay. i thought it was going to be harder."

he starts laughing. "that makes me feel better." i laugh again as river and i exit my new school.

                                >>   

my doorbell rings as i close my book slowly, surprised that someone is ringing my doorbell. i wasn't expecting anyone.

i run downstairs. the doorbell rings again. "coming!" i yell and i open the door to see river.

suddenly, my three sizes too big sweatshirt doesn't feel right.  "y/n, you make me smile whenever we're together. the kiss we shared was magical and unreal. i guess what i'm trying to say is will you be my girlfriend?"

the butterflies shoot to life again.  "yes!" river smiles and pulls me into a huge hug. "so we're dating?" he whispers. "yes!" i smile.