Open Your Eyes [Andley]

Start from the beginning

She doesn't say it back which makes me doubt her love for me. Her mind wanders off to someone else, I know it does. Someone she wishes loved her like I do.

I just know it.

And that's because I know Scout. I know the way she moves, the way she sounds. I also know that that look of content on her face when she's thinking isn't for me. Not anymore. Not like it used to be.

And knowing that she's falling out of love with me really fucking terrifies me.

*

“Ashley?” I call out, walking into the basement.

“Oh, hey.” He smiles at me as he picks up his bass. “The others will be here soon.”

“Yeah, I know. Listen, I wanted to talk to you about something...” I trail off, looking up at him.

“Go for it, man.”

“It's about Scout.” His face pales notably but I shrug it off.

“Wh-what about her?” He stutters.

“I don't think she loves me anymore.” I say, averting my gaze.

“Oh, right.” I look up at him and he seems to have relaxed. I'm about to call him out for it but he stops me. “You know, sometimes that happens and I think you have to get her to talk to you about it. Confront her about what her problem and if she doesn't love you then you have to move on, man.” Ashley advises. I nod, my mind somewhere else.

“Okay, but I don't think I can.” I admit.

“No, you can. Come on, you're Andy. You're resilient.” He walks over to me and hugs me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I sigh and hug him back, tighter than intended. He laughs and lets go of me. “I'm always here if you need me.”

“I know, thanks.”

“Guys, are you down there?” We hear Jake's voice and Ashley replies.

“Yeah, we are.”

“I'll talk to her later, okay?” I say, grabbing the microphone.

“Okay.” Ash smiles, giving me butterflies. I swallow hard and wait for everyone to come down to the basement so we can practice.

I'm dreading this conversation with Scout later on.

*

“We need to talk, Scout.” I tell her, sitting down.

“Erm, okay...”

“Do you love me?”

“What?” She narrows her eyes.

“Do you love me?” I repeat.

“Andy, I -”

“So, you don't.” I realise, my heart sinking. She sighs and looks at me.

“I did love you.” She says.

“Then what changed?” I speak, my voice quiet.

“Everything.” She admits.

“Am I not good enough for you? Did I hurt you?” I ask.

“No, Andy. You were amazing, it's me.” She tells me, placing her hand over mine. “It's not you.” I snatch my hand away; I can't have her touching me. Not now.

“Is there someone else?” I question, my voice quiet.

“I don't want to say.” Scout looks down at the hardwood floors.

“I deserve to know. If you've been fucking him while you're supposed to be fucking me, then I need to know.” I speak crudely, standing up. I'm getting angry with her vague answers.