Chapter one

One night, emma was at work at the local dinner. She worked the late shift, the one no one else wanted. The drunks were always there and alway hit on her even though they were out of her league. Meredith sat at the bar talking to emma with a drink, like usual. It was a normal night. Nothing out if the ordinary. Until the door opened and a guy with a fire station two twenty-seven tee shirt and jeans on. He had a jacket in his hand and he ran his fingers through his hair as he sat at the bar.

"Damn.... Hot firemen.... He's mine." Meredith whispered to Emma which made her laugh.

Emma went over to the firemen. "Hi. My names Emma and I'll be serving you. What can I get you?" she smiled.

"Coffee and a slice of pie." He didn't look up from the menu.

"What kind of pie?"

"You got pumpkin?" he asked

"It's the middle of July. We have apple and peach." She laughed slightly at his question.

"Apples fine. Thank you, emma." He smiled and looked up at the beautiful blonde.

"Be right back with it." she goes to put the order in and comes back to stand in front of him. "So hero. Any fires lately?"

He laughs. "I'm no hero. Not yet anyway. I'm still in training. Almost out of college."

"You're in college?" she asked confused. She was sure he was her age.

"I didn't go when I got of high school. Run into some trouble and got arrested. I went back to college now that I have the money." he nods

"I get the feeling. I just started this year over to university of Oregon." She smiles and gets his food once it's done.

"I go there. Play football on their team. Rushing back. Number twenty-seven. Like the station." he laughs slightly.

"Emma! Quit flirting and get the hell back to work!" Emma's boss yells

"Bye..." emma looks down and get back to work. The firemen signs his bill and flips it over, writing his number on the back and leaving.

Emma picks up his bill and sighs. She shoves it in her apron and clocks out, leaving the diner with Meredith as she didn't own a car.

----------------------------------------------

A week later

The firemen had returned every night at the same time and ordered the same thing every time. He wrote his number on the back of the bill every time as well. Emma never noticed but Meredith did.

"Emma. Come here for a minute." Meredith had said while she did laundry. The young blonde went over to her.

"Yeah, Mer?" she said

"Remember that hot firemen who I called dibs on down to the diner?"

"Yeah. Of course. Tall, brown hair, brown eyes." She smiled at the mention of him.

"Check the back of the bill from last night. Hell all of them this week." Meredith said.

Emma walked to her room, confused but did as Meredith had said. She saw his name and phone number. 'Neal Cassidy. 768-227-0080'

She got out her flip phone and called the number.

"Cassidy..." Neal answered and said tiredly.

"Hi, Neal. This is emma from the diner."

"Oh hey." he perked up. "So I guess you finally got the hint on the back of the bill."

"Yeah I did. It was sweet of you to do that. Being a little secretive and all."