Chapter 17

Bucky and Steve were sitting together on a small two-person sofa in Peter's hospital room. Loki has to leave to get attend something in Asgard with Thor.

A nurse came out and told them that there was only about an hour left in his surgery.

That was 50 minutes ago.

They were talking about a lot of stuff. Like what they were. Bucky said they could be boyfriends if he wanted them to be. Steve said he wanted them to be.

Bucky's feet were up on the armrest and his head was laying in Steve's lap.

"I just realized that I downgraded from being Peter's step-dad to being his brother-in-law."

"Hey. Being a brother is awesome. It doesn't feel awkward when you have normally awkward conversations. Plus, it means sleepovers whenever we want." Bucky pointed out some stuff.

They were silent for a bit.

"How'd Peter first get you to remember anything?" Steve asked, raking his hand through Bucky's now shorter hair.

"He was watching some news thing and he pointed at you, asking if I knew you. I saw your face. A name just came to me and I said 'That's Steve.' He told me he was gonna get me back to you."

"And he did. I'm so proud of both of you."

Right as Bucky was gonna say something, Peter was rolled back into the room.

Stephen was about to leave to go talk to Tony but realized Steve and Bucky were right there.

"I'm gonna get Tony then we can talk." Stephen said as he left the room to get Tony.

A couple seconds later, Stephen and Tony walked back together into Peter's room.

"So what's wrong with him?" Bucky asked, sitting up.

"There was a parasite in his blood. It was most likely from the smoke he ingested. The parasite was what caused his memories to go away. There was a toxin that made him act the way he acted—"

"What do you mean 'act the way he acted'?" Bucky asked.

"He started saying things. Things about the parasite and other stuff. When I asked him about it, he said the words just showed up in his brain and he said them."

"Oh."

"I got the parasite out and also operated a bit on his medial frontal lobe, the part that helps memories. I couldn't clear out all of the toxin but it will go away without the parasite. I already tested it and there's less toxin in him than there was before the surgery."

"So when he wakes up he should be fine?" Steve asked.

"Until the rest of the toxin goes away, he might act a bit different but other than that, yes."

Bucky exhaled a breath he didn't know he was holding and turned to Steve. He smiled slightly and relaxed a bit in his seat.

"What're the chances he makes it through the night?" Tony asked, still not believing that Peter was okay.

"52%."

"And the chances he'll wake up?"

"39%. But with his mutation that caused him to heal faster, about 63%."

No one else said anything.

Steve looked at Tony and nodded his head towards Stephen.

Tony glared at him and nodded towards Bucky, who moved back to how he was laying on Steve's lap.