" — They couldn't do anything, could they? Legally?"

"Not without a hell of a custody battle. She was away on business. She'd designated guardians. They really didn't have a leg to stand on." He wrapped an arm around Matt's middle. "My first roommate at boarding school was Taylor Cannen. He was there on scholarship, and some of the legacy and full tuition kids were absolute dickheads to the guys on scholarship. Taylor could grin and bear it in public as much as anybody, and he made it clear that I could either be like he expected — like them — or I could be a decent human being."

There was little doubt of which Toph chose, but Matt waited to hear him say it.

"I had Mira's voice in the back of my head for a while, reminding me to be my father's son instead of my mother's, though she's never actually come right out and said it like that." Toph snorted. "Oh, God, you can tell when she's thinking it, though. Daddy was the one who hired her, and I swear he's up in heaven still patting himself on the back for it all these years later."

"Taylor is the TD Cannen who comments so much on your Facebook stuff," Matt said slowly.

"Taylor Dwayne." Toph grinned. "He started going by TD the summer before college. It felt more like him than just Taylor."

Matt brushed his nose across Toph's. "Where did he go, again?"

"MIT. He loves it." His smile softened. "Then I went to college and met you and your family. And Colby. You're where I come home to, now."

"It doesn't feel right," Matt blurted. He then had to hastily add, "At the beginning of the semester, when you're not there. It doesn't feel right until you arrive. That's why I wait up for you. To make sure you actually get here, sure, but it doesn't...a place you're supposed to be doesn't feel right until you actually get there is what I'm saying."

Toph slid his hand up the back of Matt's shirt. "Anybody who says you aren't a romantic is dead wrong."

By anybody Toph really meant your exgirlfriend and they both left it at that.

"I don't know if I'd go that far," he muttered, the back of his neck warming.

"You struggle not to burn water and yet insist on making me dinner on my birthday every year," Toph said flatly.

Alright, he could concede that one.

"That's because you deserve nice things." He wasn't sure how he managed it, but he rolled Toph mostly under him, his weight balanced on his elbows. "You deserve nice things and I'm going to try to make sure you get them."

Which, well, when he looked at it literally was a little ridiculous considering the disposable income disparity between the two of them. Good thing Matt didn't give a shit about it while simulataneously recognizing nice things didn't mean expensive things. A bottle of Toph's favorite white wine. Some good whiskey at the end of a long day. A marathon of his favorite TV show. A date to the movies. Wednesday wing night at Eddie O's. Whatever musical-ish show was at the Smith.

Nice things.

Toph curled up in his armchair in Matt's favorite flannel because he was chilly. Toph as he cooked, shirt sleeves rolled to his elbows, his voice soft as he talked to Fidget, who lay on a stool. Chunky wool gloves and old man cardigans. A good cup of dark roast.

Nice things.

Matt inhaled deeply and scooted down the mattress a bit. Toph stilled.

"When...when did you last have an STD test?" Matt asked slowly. "I went last spring. I stopped at Starbucks in Canandaigua on the way back and got us those bags of dark roast because they were on sale." He'd told Toph he'd needed to take a trip to Canandaigua. He just hadn't told him why.