THE QUEST TO BE A KING

Start from the beginning

The next day Dave peeked out his front window and saw a woman walking away from his house on the sidewalk. From the back it could have been Sheila, but it was hard to tell. However, Dave was enraged that his everyday life was in turmoil, and he wanted to put an immediate stop to it. " There she is!" Dave ran out of his house and approached the woman as she was two houses down the street. Dave angrily furrowed his eyebrows, and slapped an adjacent mailbox. "Hey!" When the woman turned, it was apparent she was not Sheila, being probably a woman in her early seventies. An embarrassed Dave said, "Oh! I'm sorry! I thought you were someone else." With a scowl on her face including squinting her eyes the woman turned and continued her walk.

It has been eight days and there has been no sign of Sheila. Dave thought, "Well, the police are trying to find Sheila in order to serve the restraining order. It's going to be just fine." Dave took different routes to and from work, left at different times, and worked out at the gym at various times. He wanted to avoid a pattern, avoid being predictable. A few more days passed and Dave showed up at the studio to do his five o'clock news program. As he turned towards the main gate, he suddenly felt cold, started to shake, and felt a familiar sharp pain in his stomach.

Sheila was standing on the sidewalk across the street, wearing sunglasses and a baseball hat again, so her face was not able to be seen clearly. The clue to Dave that it was Sheila was that she held a sign for all to see, "I'm having Dave King's baby!" Dave pulled onto the lot and told the security officer in the booth, who was already aware of the stalker, and of the pending restraining order. When the security officer arrived at the sidewalk Sheila was nowhere to be found. The police were called and searched the area but could not locate the elusive Sheila.

Dave pulled up to the news broadcast studio and walked into the front lobby. As he walked past the security desk he smiled and said, "Hey Sam, hey Evan, how's it going?" Sam replied, "Oh, we're good." Evan asked, "How's it going with you?" Dave slowed, turned around and replied, "Guys, I have seen better days, and will see better days ahead." Sam gave the thumbs up sign and Dave smiled before turning and walking into the studio. After about fifteen minutes in the makeup room, Dave took his seat at the news desk, just off to the side of the main anchors. There was nothing special for Dave

to report. A couple of movie reviews, and mention of a movies in the park event that will host a giant outdoor screen and food trucks. "That's all I have, after commercial we'll turn it to Julie Singer with the traffic report."

The commercial started and Julie looked to her right. "Dave, network security told us all about your stalker issue, and for all of us to always be alert. Look around before just blindly walking up to our cars and such, and you should do the same. Hopefully your problem will be behind you soon." "Thanks Julie! This idiot calls me love bug! Oh brother!" Julie smirked. "Sorry about your stalker, but you do kind of look like a bug Dave." Dave shook his head and chuckled, appreciating Julie trying to make him laugh during this stressful time. Dave reached out and touched Julie's shoulder emphasizing his appreciation for her support. Julie gave Dave a quick smile then had to get to work. The red light on the camera came on, and without missing a beat, Julie spoke of traffic issues in the greater Southern California area. Julie always displays a fun personality on air, and has had one or two stalker issues herself over the past four years she has been on TV. The news ended for the evening and the crew started to walk towards the lobby. Dave said, "Guys, I can't wait to go to get some fish and chips on the Santa Monica Pier tomorrow! They have the best!" Julie responded, "You mean Fishbeck's? That place is awesome!" Dave nodded. The sports reporter, Kevin, said, "Yeah, that place rocks!"

Dave and Kevin walked out together. As the group walked past the security Dave slowed. "Goodnight Sam. Goodnight Evan." The two guards replied, "Goodnight Dave, drive safely," then their attention was back to the security camera monitors. Dave looked into the parking area before he approached his car, seeing no one around. Kevin branched off to his car. "See ya, Dave." As Dave unlocked his car, a voice from behind said, "Dave!" The voice startled him as he did not routinely look behind him, which he probably should. The voice behind him was Julie's who was parked a few stalls away from Dave. She continued, "Dave, as I was walking I noticed you were not aware of your six." With a puzzled look Dave asked, "My six?" Julie replied, "Yes, picture a clock. To the front of you, 12: o'clock, to your rear, 6: o'clock. Your six...see?" Dave nodded and with a smile of appreciation replied, "Hey thanks Julie! I will be more aware of my... six." "No problem. See ya later." Julie entered her car and drove away.