Chapter 9: Friend

Start from the beginning

“Gregg” my mom chuckled. “You know I gave birth to you. I know what you look like.” It was as if she was suggesting that I was the same size or something. I'm not I promise. 

“Mom stop laughing. Just go to work. There's nothing you can say or do that’ll make me go to school.” 

“Then I’ll stay home too and we’ll talk.”

“You can’t just stay home from work, besides my problems aren’t that serious that you should risk losing money over them.”

“I’ll admit that I have been neglecting your feelings. I ask Grayson how his day was and not you, but you have to understand where I'm coming from Gregg. Your brother suffers from depression, you know that. So things that you do and the things that he does are dealt with differently. I just don't want him to start having bad thoughts again so I try so hard to make him happy. I never really noticed that you weren’t happy Gregg and I'm sorry.”

“I-I think I don’t want you to care about me anymore that’s why I don't like being around you guys. I’d rather lock myself in here until I have to leave the house.” Its feels pretty weird to open up to my mother but I had to. She has to know how much hate has been building up inside of me since Grayson started having those bad thoughts.

“Mom go to work.”

It got boring sitting in my pajamas for an hour. I contemplated calling Noah but he was probably still babysitting Peter. I felt duller than I had ever felt in my life. If boyfriends are not there to cheer you up then what are they good for? I decided that I wasn’t angry with Noah anymore even though he practically ditched me for his stupid friend. His name popped up on my screen as I was about to dial.

“Gregg I'm sorry but Peter-”

“Can you not say his name?”

“What's your problem with Peter anyway? What did he do wrong that made you so evil?”

“Noah I get that he’s your friend but he’s not your boyfriend why is he always there?”

“Look Peter’s in pain right now-”

“Noah I'm in pain.” I didn't understand why he was treating me so bad. I didn't say anything in a harsh tone. I just asked a simple question.

“Oh Gregg come on don't cry again.” I guess he could hear me sniffling through the phone because now he sounded more worried than angry. 

“I think I get it now. The boy who makes fun of you all of the time is more important than the boy who tells you he loves you.”

It said 3:47 on the clock when Sherrie flopped on my bed after school. She was all wet and cold from the snow outside. That girl was looking pretty under her huge winter coat. She twirled in a skirt that her mother brought her and the expensive pink sweater she saved up for. I wanted to hug her since she was finally a girl. She didn't seem to notice how awestruck I was at her transformation. All she wanted was details.