A Simple Procedure

Start from the beginning

"You mean, that if I do the implant, I can stay a hero?" Izuku twitched, his eyes unable to show the emotions he was feeling.

"Yes, but you can't tell anyone I said these things. Can you promise me?" Izuku thought for a moment before promising back with a nod and a smile. A minute later, Inko returned, walking close to Izuku and shoving what tasted like a Twix bar into his mouth.

"You need some energy." She huffed. Izuku, while confused, gladly accepted the treat and nibbled on the candy. After he'd finished and balled up the wrapper, he called out to his mom.

"I want to do it, the procedure that is." He paused, waiting in the silence of the room, the only sound being the nervous typing from the doctor.

"Izuku- I'm not sure about this-"

"Mom, please." Izuku said, passion and fear present in his tone. He waited another minute in silence, then heard a sigh from Inko.

"If it makes you happy." She exclaimed. Izuku smiled, or at least he hoped he did, and thanked his mom with all his soul. He wanted to take the chance to become a hero again, and if that meant surgery and implantations, then so be it.  Izuku heard the doctor scoot from her swivel chair.

"Then I'm going to need you to sign these forms. Don't allow him to have food or water until after the surgery, which I will schedule for  tomorrow. In the mean time, please try to use the bathroom if you can stand." With that, the woman opened the door then walked out of the room, or at least, that's what Izuku could hear.

* * *

Izuku was picked from his bed the next day, forced into a, very open piece of clothing, which Izuku guessed was a disposable gown, and a hairnet. He couldn't walk too well yet, and even if he did, he wouldn't know where to go, so he was placed onto a movable bed, and was rushed down to the surgery center.

Unable to see where he was going, he just enjoyed the slight breeze he got and the chatter of people as he passed by them. There was a bit of fear in his gut, he's heard before about brain surgery failures, but hoped beyond hope that he could survive this experimental procedure. His mother was running along his side, assuring him that he'd be ok.

Izuku was beginning to have his doubts about going through with the operation, but didn't speak up, knowing that he had to do it. Once he was sure he'd arrived, butterflies of nerves flitted in his stomach. He was hungry and thirsty from having to abstain himself, and was growing with worry at the experimental idea of it all.

Before he could speak up, though, something plastic, most likely a mask, was placed over his mouth and nose.

"We're going to use anesthesia now, start counting down from twelve, and lie down." A man said slowly, like he was talking to a fragile child. Izuku complied and began to count down, wondering what the point of it was. He'd gotten as far as eight, when his eyes fluttered shut and overwhelming drowsiness washed over his body. Before he could panic, he slipped into sleep peacefully.

* * *

When Izuku awoke, he was immediately hit with a sense of euphoria. Being high while being blind, well, not a good combination.

Izuku was chortling, he didn't understand where he was or cared even, he just felt funny and was happy about it. In fact, he felt utterly stupid.

"It's gonna take a bit for his brain to adjust to the implant, not to mention he's on a lot of anesthetics, so give him some time to relax. We're gonna put him back under for now, but he should be better when he wakes up."