Leilani began to smile a little more each passing day. Calum would give her the baby she wanted one day and for now, she would give him cupcakes in return.

When the timer went off, Leilani slid from the barstool and grabbed an oven mitt. She waited a few minutes for them to cool before attempting to decoratively ice each treat. It was a lot of work and a lot of licking icing from her fingers but eventually they looked decent enough to plate. She picked one individual cupcake and placed a slim green candle in it before searching several cluttered drawers for a lighter. Then the brunette ambled upstairs, waiting until she was outside her bedroom door to light the candle.

Calum stirred slightly when she began singing happy birthday. His eyes opened halfway through, an expression of confusion taking over his features. Leilani sat the lighter on top of the nightstand and carefully crawled on her knees across the mattress, finishing up the final notes of the song with a grin. Calum had sat up against the headboard at this point, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and hair from his forehead.

She held the cupcake in front of his mouth. "Make a wish, baby."

Calum's brows rose but he didn't ask questions. Instead, he paused to think before blowing out the candle and glancing over at her. "You know it's March, right?"

"I know. I just feel bad that you never got the birthday celebration you deserved. I know cupcakes don't make up for it but they're delicious so it's a start," Leilani declared, offering him the dessert. "Go on. Try it. I tasted one myself downstairs. They're probably the finest confetti cupcakes in the state."

"Hm," Calum hummed, taking the cupcake only to set it down on the nightstand on the other side of the bed. "C'mere first, darling," he coaxed, opening his arms. Leilani hesitated briefly before straddling his lap and lacing her fingers together behind his neck. He urged her closer to him, puckering his lips for a kiss which she happily delivered. "You seem happier today. Did you get more sleep? I didn't hear you wake up."

"Um, not exactly. I just liked having more of a purpose this morning. Doing things for other people has always made me feel better so I guess some things don't change," she explained, tugging at the ends of his soft locks. "And I do owe you a lot. You've stuck by me during these last few weeks when I've been a depressed mess. I can't thank-"

"Stop. Don't even finish that. You're the love of my life, Lan. I would never leave you, especially not after what we went through together. It made us stronger," Calum stated, brushing one of his hands along her cheek. For a minute, he just stared at her. Then, "You're so fucking beautiful. I'm so lucky."

Leilani blushed and ducked her head. "I'm the lucky one."

Calum tilted her face up by her chin, a ghost of a smile on his lips. "I guess we're both lucky then." He tugged her down to his level and kissed her, fingers gentle against her skin. It reminded her of the first kiss they shared nearly a year ago at Mali's house because of its hesitancy and newness. He was scared he'd break her with one wrong move and rightfully so. They hadn't been seriously intimate since Christmas, especially not after the miscarriage both due to possible infection and their emotional unavailability. Having sex with someone you love was hard when you were both checked out mentally.

To show her willingness, Leilani nudged his mouth open with her tongue while her hands ran down his bare chest, feeling every ridge and dip. His hand encased around her wrist as it dipped below the waistband of his boxer briefs, ceasing any further movement. He pulled away from the kiss just a fraction to peer into her eyes. "Are you sure? We don't have to."

She nodded. "I want to. It's been so long since I've felt completely close to you. I need to feel you." At her words, Calum only waited a moment before molding their lips together again. Within minutes, he had removed her top and unclasped her bra and felt her breasts between his fingers. Within minutes, he had slipped down her shorts and panties and aided in the removal of his briefs. Within minutes, he held tightly to her hips as she hesitantly eased down on him and released a soft gasp. It only took minutes but it felt like an eternity to her.

Leilani began to move against him, hands placed on his shoulders while she stared into his eyes. It wasn't like their past intimate experiences. No, this one was slow and passionate and full of sincerity. They weren't fucking, they were making love.

Soft moans of pleasure left her parted lips and when she tried to throw her head back, Calum merely grabbed her chin in refusal. His eyes were filled with compassion and adoration for the beautiful brunette who shifted against him at an uneven pace. He wanted to look at the entirety of her face as she came undone, wanted to see as well as feel every reaction.

Leilani felt her stomach tighten. She dug her fingernails into his shoulders and moaned a soft, "I love you."

"And I love you, baby," Calum rasped, staring straight into her eyes as she reached her high. Just the look of pure ecstasy on her features got him off, and he grunted audibly upon release.

She fell against his chest with a heavy sigh and he held her tight. For a moment, all she could think about was that day at the park, about throwing their coins in the fountain. When Calum's wish had gone down the drain, Leilani originally thought hers wouldn't either.

Please let our relationship be meant to be.

Maybe it came true because she didn't speak it into existence. Or maybe it was fate at play, not a stupid 5 cent wish.

Either way, she hoped that Calum made a good birthday wish.