Chapter Four

Ariel had been pacing back in forth in the armory training plaza for several minutes, waiting for Beckett and beginning to wait for her decision. She kept thinking, "I should not have come here" and was seriously debating returning to her room. The fact that Beckett was late was just making her angry and more nervous. 

After several more minutes Ariel finally decided to go back, she had been waiting for way too long.

She began walking from the plaza muttering under her breath how foolish she was, thinking it was safe for her to train, especially with a man she had just met.

Just as she was about exit the plaza Ariel heard a voice.

"Are you talking to yourself?"Beckett semi-yelled across the plaza.

Ariel jumped and turned around and hissed "No. But I'm going to assume you are trying to get get us caught, as well as give me a heart attack?"

Beckett shrugged. "So you decided to come, I knew you couldn't stay away from me."

"Congratulations, it seems you've got me all figured out. I mean I didn't come to train or anything and I just couldn't wait to see you." Ariel replied rolling her eyes. 

He chuckled and moved close to her, taking her long blonde-wait braid in his hand, "Quite the spitfire aren't you?" 

Ariel could feel Beckett's gaze on her and her body involuntarily reacted. She tilted her face up, trying to glare at him. After an intense moment of eye-contact Beckett broke their gaze and walked away. Tossing a "Lets train" behind his back.

                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ariel was wheezing, Beckett had had her running for the past 10 minutes. Apparently the first part of being a sucessful fighter was "conditioning". Ariel was not too fond of this ideal but followed Beckett's lead nonetheless. She trailed behind him, reproachfully allowing herself to admire his form. The conditioning did seem to be helping him.

She was so caught up in her thoughts that Ariel didn't realize that Beckett had stopped and ran right in to him. He looked back at her raising an eyebrow questioningly.

"Woops" she said sheepishly,"I didn't realize you had stopped".

"Obviously," Beckett replied "Now grab a sword. We'll start with the basics. From now on we will condition, do sword drills, then hand to hand. I'm assuming you would like to learn all three main skills of weaponry."

"What about archery?" Ariel asked.

"Archery will be twice a week, that will be the only skill we work on that day, besides conditioning. If you would like we could also work on some of the finer weapons such as daggers. But, archery, swordsmanship, and hand to hand are the main skills you should hone." Beckett replied while stretching a little bit.

Ariel followed his lead. Once they were done he nodded toward the armory. "Now, go grab a sword." Ariel mock slauted and did as he asked. When she returned Beckett began to go through the basics.

Sighing, Ariel told him "I do know how to use a sword you know." It was true she had practiced swordsmanship. She used to hide and watch as the soldiers trained. Collecting every detail she could and using them to teach herself.

Beckett answered her, "Well if you know how to use your sword so well then I suppose yiou won't mind if we just go straight to sparring?"

"Of course not." she replied. Ariel could see the surprise in his eyes when she even knew the opening courtesies of a fight.

He nodded and sprung into action, going on offense first. Ariel parried his attack but was slightly shaken. This was in fact, her first time sparring with an actual moving person. She tried to remember the foot work she had watched and practiced but it was extremely difficult to concentrate on those things, as well as fight off Beckett. It didn't take her long to realize that she wouldn't be able to fight off Beckett for long, so she switched to offense. Ariel could tell that he was slightly surprised by this, but he didn't take long to recover. He knocked down all of her attempts effortlessly. She felt herself tiring and it wasn't long before he disarmed her, her sword flying across the plaza.

Ariel was exhausted, she was leaned over with her hands on her knees. Beckett waited while she recovered. When, at last she stood up to look at him, she saw Beckett smiling.

"What are you smiling at?" Ariel accused.

"Nothing, I'm just actually impressed by your skills. I think you honestly could hold a lot of potential as a fighter. But, there are a few things we need to work on, footwork, strength..."

A loud banging noise startled the both of them, and simultaneously cutt Beckett off.

"I suppose that's enough for today then", Ariel whispered.

"So you'll be back, I thought you would", Beckett said smiling. "Tommorow morning same time- same place, agreed?"

Ariel rolled her eyes at him, turned and stealthily made her way to her room.