Chapter Five|Josh

When Charles and Kouri opened the door, the very first thing he noticed was the sour-looking young man that whipped his head to look at the pair immediately. Long black hair that was pulled back loosely into a ponytail, and cold blue eyes that took Charles' breath away. Everything that was beautiful and everything that was painful was held in those eyes.

"Who are you?" he hissed, standing from his chair. A pale raised scar across his cheek contrasted against his tan skin. He wore the cheap outfit of front line soldiers, so cheap that it didn't even have any armor on it. No wonder being sent to #17 was a death wish; they didn't even try.

"We're the new recruits!" Kouri said, answering for the both of them. Charles was glad to let her take the lead, sparing him of awkward conversations and giving him a chance to glance at Josh. he had never seen anyone so... gods, what was the word?

"Ah! Charles and Kouri, I suppose?" said another male, smiling as he walked in from another room. As he passed through the door frame, Charles saw that he had two huge light gray wings sprouting from his back. His hair was the kind of silvery-white blonde that you didn't have naturally, and he had eyes so black you couldn't see the pupil. The black-haired man turned to scowl at him.

"You didn't tell me we were getting any new soldiers." he said suspiciously. The winged boy patted his head, as you would a child. The dynamic here was pretty easy to see; the irritable one and the one who treated nothing seriously. "That's because you would just complain all day. 'Oh, not new ones!' 'Oh, they'll ruin all our plans!' See what I'm getting at, Josh?" He held back a laugh as Josh fumed.

"I really hate you-"

But he was interrupted as his superior waved his hand grandly, his wings slapping him in the face. "Hello! I'm General Henri. With an I. It's a pleasure to meet the both of you." his voice was calm and sweet, so warm and welcoming and dripping in sugar that Charles couldn't believe it was real. How could someone so nice and friendly be a general? At the front lines of a bloody war, no less? He stuck out his hand and Kouri took it. His smile seemed to melt her, as well.

"Despite the conditions, I do hope you like it here and- good gods, you're both black-reds? How come you weren't drafted earlier?" His tone didn't change much as the realization hit him; his expression just changed. From inviting to curious.

"Ah, w-well, I didn't discover my power until today. I had helicopter parents I suppose, and I'm a hemokinetic." Charles mumbled out. Henri gave a long whistle.

"No wonder you're a black-red. That's quite impressive. What do you think, Joshy?" The winged general asked, turning to Josh, who was sitting down again. When Charles moved his eyes from Henri's blinding face, he saw that Josh was staring straight back at him, with a scowl. No particular emotion behind said expression; just a scowl.

"I told you to call me Josh, or Joshua. And he's interesting, to say the least." Josh finally said, turning away from the conversation without any more words. Henri gave a playful laugh. "Well good, because you'll be rooming with him!"

Josh turned at lightening speed, his ice blue eyes transfixed on Henri. "What? That's not fair! Newbies bunk with newbies!" he cried. Henri's wings ruffled slightly.

"You should know better than most that life isn't fair. Besides, you're such a stick in the mud as a bunk-mate. Deal with it, you big baby."

Even Josh's angry, pouting face was so perfectly sculpted that Charles didn't know what to do with himself. He had only experienced feelings like this for another boy a few times. After all, it was a small town. But something about this pessimistic stranger struck Charles as new and exciting. And then he finally realized the word he had tried to describe Josh as.

Beautifully handsome.