the party

Lucy woke up with a sick feeling in her gut and a ton of notifications on her phone. She rolled over in her bed, groaning, and reached for her phone. She saw tons of texts from Lee, Elle, and Noah.

She read the texts from Noah about his party that night and how she had to be there. Lucy thought it over quickly and wasn't so sure if she wanted to go. After everything that happened with Lee the night before she didn't think she could go to his house.

She looked at the texts from Elle and Lee and they both read similar things. Just messages thanking her for being a part of their booth. Without her, no one would join. She bit her lip a little before replying to them, hoping neither of them would bring up the awkward events that occurred the night before.

Sighing, Lucy placed her phone beside her bed and looked up at the ceiling. She thought about everything that could happen at the party if she were to go. She imagined making more friends and dancing with them. She imagined dancing with Lee and Elle and laughing with them. But her head snapped back into reality and she had a realization. She had embarrassed herself badly the night before, and what better way to forget about it than a huge party?

Lucy reached over and grabbed her phone. She quickly texted Noah back to tell him that she would be there. She let out a sigh of relief and determination as she jumped out of bed and got ready for her day.

An hour or so before the party, Lucy began to get ready. She looked at her sparse clothing selection and chose practically her only option: a meadow green jumpsuit with white flowers and a knot in front. She slipped it on and threw on a pair of short black heels and went downstairs.

"And where are you going dressed like that?" Lucy's father, Chris asked suspiciously as he sipped some decaffeinated coffee from his mug. Lucy jumped at his speculating tone.

"I'm going to see some friends." Lucy said quietly.

Chris choked on his coffee. "Friends? When were you going to tell me about this?" He questioned. Lucy's face slowly grew rings of blush.

"I don't know...I didn't think it mattered that much..." Lucy muttered. She awkwardly rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet.

"Well it's good to hear. Maybe I'll meet them later?"

"Definitely."

"Lucy, you never answered my question. Where are you going dressed like that?"

"A friend's house. He's having some people over."

"You're going to see your friend and possibly make other friends?" Chris asked incredulously.

"Don't hype it up like that...but yes, possibly." Lucy added, excitement in her voice.

"Well, go have fun. And don't do anything crazy."

Lucy smiled and nodded, heading for the door. She waved to her father as she picked up her purse and car keys on the way out. She quickly started up her car and drove to the Flynn household.

When she arrived, the house was decked out with lights, alcohol, and wasted teenagers. Lucy took a deep breath as she entered the house. A bunch of kids waved to her and she awkwardly waved back. She walked past Elle who was intensely playing a video game, likely drunk. Lucy turned a corner, laughing at Elle under her breath, and ran straight into Lee.

"Lucy? I didn't think you would come." Lee said, trailing off. His heart pounded as he got lost in her eyes.

"I need a drink." Lucy stated, completely out of character. Before Lee could stop her, Lucy headed straight towards the bar.

"Lucille! Hey!" Olivia said with a slurred tone. Lucy shot a fake smile back. She eyed the blue drink in Olivia, Mia, and Gwyneth's hands.

"You have got to try-" Mia started, moving the drink towards Lucy. Lucy grabbed her drink and shot it back. It burned the back of her throat and made her eyes tear up. Mia, Olivia, and Gwyneth eagerly awaited her response to the drink. To that, Lucy lifted the shot glass and cheered.

"Let's get this party started!" Lucy shouted, pouring herself another shot. A bunch of kids around her cheered and joined excluding Lee.

Lee couldn't believe what was happening. He knew Lucy, not very well, but he knew her well enough to know that she wasn't acting like herself.

After a few too many drinks, Lucy ended up by the pool. Lee was talking to some friends with a beer in his hand, occasionally glancing at Lucy who was talking with some other girls. Suddenly, a song came on and triggered something in Lucy. She didn't know whether it was the alcohol talking but she began to take off her jumpsuit and hopped into the pool.

Lee looked up and saw her in her underwear swimming around. He felt his heart flutter and his face began to redden. He jumped for a second, thinking his friends would see him staring at Lucy but realized that it was nighttime and they couldn't see his blushing face.

As Lucy swam in the pool, other kids began to take off their clothes and hop in the pool. Lee stared in amazement at Lucy's ability to influence anyone. Everyone was swimming and having a good time when Lee looked over and noticed Lucy struggling to stay afloat. Lee stood up and looked over his friend's heads to see what was going on.

"Hold on a second..." Lee muttered as he pushed himself away from the group and ran towards the pool.

He saw Lucy barely treading water as her eyes began to shut. Lee quickly whipped off his clothes and dived into the pool. Before Lucy sank to the bottom of the pool, Lee was able to retrieve her. He pulled her out of the pool and laid her on the ground. He watched her until he was sure she was breathing.

Lee picked up his and her clothes and threw them on his shoulder. He picked her up bridal style and carried her to his bedroom. He laid her down on his bed. She rolled around a bit before opening her eyes which Lee was happy to see.

"Lee?" Lucy asked, reaching her hands up to his bare chest. Lee's heart pounded and he became incredibly nervous.

"Y-yes?" He croaked.

"Kiss me." Lucy whispered. Lee's eyes opened wide as she pulled his face closer to hers. However, Lee knew better than that.

"Lucy, you're drunk."

"No I'm not. Kiss me." Her words slurred together.

"Lucy, I'm not gonna kiss you." Lee said, defeated. "You're drunk. Pretty sure in Freshman year we did that class on consent and this was a big no."

"Lee, come on." Lucy sat up, pressing her chest against Lee's. She snakes her arms around his neck and Lee tried to pull away. "Lee, I'm in love-" Fortunately, Lucy was interrupted before she went too far. Unfortunately, what interrupted Lucy was her own vomit. She threw up as Lee pulled away and the vomit just grazed Lee. "I'm so sorry." Lucy mumbled before falling back down on the bed and falling asleep.

The door swung open as Lee partially admired Lucy, partially thought about what she had said, and partially disgusted by the vomit on him.

"Oh shit, where should I put her?" Noah asked, Elle laying on his shoulder.

Lee gave Noah a dirty look, not even acknowledging his blacked out best friend. Lee walked over to the door and shut it.

Lee walked back over to Lucy and looked at her sleeping. He then realized how creepy and probably looked and threw a shirt on her. He quickly took a shower before laying out an extra blanket on his floor. He stared at the ceiling, thinking about what she had said. All he could think about were his feelings for her, not super intense, but he at least had thought about dating her. But when she said she was in love, a little part of him hoped she was talking about him.