the lost dog

Lucy Tong woke up with the sunrise to take her dog Patch on a morning run with her. As much as she hated to exercise, she knew she had to. Volleyball season was upon her, and if she wasn't in shape she wouldn't be able to make the team. So she quickly showered, threw on a sports bra and shorts, tied her sneakers, and ran out the door with Patch by her side.

Her run was long and tiring as it went all the way past the Flynn's house and back to hers; all in all she ran about 5 miles total.

As she ran down the street, she eyed the beautiful houses. She always dreamt of having a house as big as the ones she ran past. She knew, however, that it was majorly unlikely.

As she ran around the block, Patch close by her side, she heard a whistle from a house. She stopped running and so did Patch. She turned to face the source of the whistle; there was Lee Flynn, leaning over the ledge of his house. Lucy didn't know Lee very well and vice versa. Everyone seemed to know Lucy as the star player of the volleyball team.

Patch seemed to pick up on the whistle and ran towards Lee's house. Lucy immediately panicked and ran into Lee's house, following Patch.

"Patch! No, Patch! Don't go in there!" Lucy called as she ran into Lee's pool area and, unfortunately, straight into Lee. Lucy got knocked to the ground and Lee fell into the pool. Lucy jumped up to see Elle Evans hysterically laughing on a chair with Patch.

Lee crawled out of the pool soaking wet, the water dripping off of his chest. Lucy's eyes grew wide and her face turned red. Lee's eyes darted over to Elle who shrugged.

"I am so sorry." Lucy apologized. Patch barked at her then ran over to her. Lucy got down on her knees and wrapped an arm around Patch. "Patch just has a mind of his own sometimes." She laughed. She stroked Patch's head in affection and Lee kneeled down next to her and began to pet Patch with her. Lucy shivered as she looked at a smiling Lee. She bit her lip and looked back down at Patch, completely flustered.

Suddenly, a moment of realization dawned over Lee. "Wait a minute, you're Lucille Tong! You're the volleyball and rugby girl!" Lee cried, pointing at her.

Lucy stood up awkwardly and Lee was joined at the side by Elle. "Uh, yeah, I guess. And most people call me Lucy." Lucy muttered. When she said "most people", she really just meant herself. She didn't have any friends at all.

"Hey, Lucy. I'm-" Lee began but Lucy interrupted him.

"Lee Flynn," Lucy said. "And you're Elle Evans." Lucy motioned to Elle. Elle and Lee both looked impressed. "Yeah, I know. I have a knack for names...and faces." Lucy glanced one more time at Lee, her face heating up. "Well, I should get going. I'm only half way done with my run." Lucy sighed.

"Stay!" Elle blurted out. Lee and Lucy both looked at her, confused. "I mean it's the last day of summer, we could use the company." She shrugged.

"I mean, you're probably almost done with your run anyway. How much do you really have left?" Lee asked.

Lucy looked at her watch which tracked her mileage. "About 2.5 miles left."

"Jesus Christ I can't even dream of running that long." Lee muttered making Lucy laugh.

"Are you sure it's okay? I'm super sweaty and gross right now." Lucy said. Elle elbowed Lee hard in his side.

"Use my shower!" Lee exclaimed.

Lucy felt her face heat up. She just trespassed in the Flynn household and met a nice, funny, cute guy who invited her to use his shower? There was no way she could've passed on that offer.

"Really? You're okay with that?" She questioned. Lee's eyes got wide and he nodded quickly. Lucy blushed as Lee led her up to his bathroom.

"Here you go. Towels are over here." Lee pointed out.