Till the Day I Die

Start from the beginning

"If we have kids," Freya corrected.

"If?" I repeated. "Keelin doesn't talk like it's an if."

Freya looked at us nervously. "We haven't exactly had the conversation."

I nodded. "Oh. Well, don't you think you should do that before you walk down the aisle?"

**********

Later, we found Freya crying, concerned. "Freya?"

"Kaylin, you were right about talking to Keelin," Freya told me. "But now I guess the wedding's off."

"What happened?" Rebekah asked.

"I should have said something before now, but look at our family," Freya told us. "How do you tell someone you can't have a child because you're afraid you're gonna hurt it? That you'll find some way to put your needs before theirs because that's what your parents did to you? That you're toxic and broken and a Mikaelson, and that's just what we do."

"Listen to me," I told her. "I had the same fear when Cade first brought back Rae, because that's all my family did to me, too. We may be damaged, but we are not doomed to repeat our parents' mistakes. After everything that we have been through, none of us would see a child of ours suffer just to ease our own pain."

"Besides, Freya, you always put your family in front of yourself," Rebekah added. "If Nik and Kaylin could break their family patterns with Hope and Rae, you can break the pattern with your own child."

"Do you really believe that?" Freya asked.

"Yeah, I do," Rebekah answered. "And so does Keelin."

"Which is why you should be talking to her right now," I told her.

Freya managed a small smile. "Thank you."

Freya walked off to go talk to Keelin.

Rebekah smiled slightly. "You know, Kaylin..." I looked at her. "We've been best friends, we've been foes, we've been what the kids call frenemies..." We smiled, chuckling. "And now we're sisters. It feels like that's where it's always been leading."

I smiled, nodding. "Yeah. Yeah, it does."

**********

Davina had done a spell to try to find a cure for Hope and Rae, finding something out a lot worse than we thought before, so I went to the venue for the wedding where Klaus was talking to a woman.

"This was scheduled a year ago," the woman told him. "We're not changing it for you."

"Well, you see, my older sister really likes this venue," Klaus told her, compelling her. "And she will be getting married here today. Unless, of course, you want this wedding to turn into a funeral." I walked toward him worriedly. Klaus was concerned by the worry he saw, walking closer. "Kaylin?"

"I spoke to Kol," I told him. "Davina says that the dark magic is destroying Rae and Hope from the inside out. It's only a matter of time before it kills them."

"So how do we stop it?" Klaus asked.

I shook my head, desperate fighting off tears. "They say there's nothing we can do."

Klaus was just as horrified, desperate and in denial as I was. "How long?"

I sighed, looking down. "Weeks. Days. Maybe hours. There's no way to know."