What, Will, I, Have, Left

Once I was sure Hope was gone, Rae and I went back to New Orleans, speaking to Klaus in the compound.

Klaus was frustrated. "What do you mean, Hope's missing?"

"A few hours ago, she took off with a boy she has a crush on from school," I answered.

"What?" Klaus asked worriedly.

"We're looking for them," I explained. "In fact, the entire honors tracking class is on it, and so is Rae."

"Who's this boy?" Klaus asked. "I'm gonna kill him."

"We can't pinpoint their location yet, but they seem to be heading somewhere just outside of New Orleans," Rae answered.

"So she's coming home?" Klaus asked. "Why?"

"We can ask her when we find her," Rae told us. "Let's go."

I gave her a look. "Rae. You know you can't be around Nik anymore than you already have been."

Rae turned to face us, sighing. "I've been trying something. And it might not work, but I need to try."

"Try what, exactly?" Klaus asked. Rae took off her bracelet so she could use her psychic powers to see into his head. Klaus was dizzy and nearly fell from the force of her power. I helped him stay standing, but the plants around us stopped dying, and the blood returned to water. "Rae? What did you do?"

"I haven't been able to test this theory since I could never be around one of the four of you for long," Rae explained. "But remember when I was little, I was able to mind control the Ancestors, even though they were spirits?"

"You just mind controlled the Hollow?" I asked.

"Briefly, yeah," Rae answered. "Klaus, do you hear the whispers?"

"No," Klaus answered. "I don't."

Rae smiled in relief. "I did it."

I chuckled in shock. "You did it."

"I"m not sure how long it will last, though," Rae admitted. "So we have to go. Now."

**********

At a place called Mammy's kitchen, we were standing outside, drinking coffee.

"With the help of the tracking class, I am zeroing in on them," Rae explained, looking every which way as she was using her power to scan whatever she was seeing. "I should have a location nailed down any minute."

"So, what, we just wait here and sip rancid diner coffee?" Klaus asked.

"Or you can think about what you'll say when you see Hope," I told him. "Or more importantly, what you won't say. It'll be tempting to lash out, but you'll regret it later."

"Rae, how long did you know that you could mind control the Hollow like that?" Klaus asked.

"I didn't know," Rae answered. "It was just something that I never got to try. And it worked, to both your shock and mine. But it's not gonna last forever."

"So we should probably hurry," I told them.

"Kaylin, you have a lot to answer for, and not just for losing one of our daughters," Klaus told me.

I gave him a look. "She's not lost."

"After all your haranguing," Klaus told me. "'Be a better father, become more engaged'."

I scoffed. "I refute 'harangue'. I am not a haranguer. I gave constructive advice."

"Which I heeded at our own peril," Klaus replied. "And Hope didn't make it any easier. Or you, Rae."