Till the Day I Die

In the cemetery, Hope was leaving flowers for the man that she had killed and triggered her werewolf curse. Rae was with her. Klaus and I walked closer.

"You didn't have to come," Rae told us.

"We wanted to make sure you were all right," I told them.

"I don't know why we leave flowers," Hope admitted. "Doesn't do them any good. It's not much of an apology for killing someone."

"Unintentionally," Klaus corrected. "You rid the city of those vermin. You and Rae both did. You have nothing to apologize for."

Rae sighed. "Don't make it sound so noble. Yeah, yeah, we killed a few bad guys, but it was as much to get the magic out of us as anything else. Besides, it's not like it lasted more than a few hours."

"Well, at least he gets his revenge next week when the full moon comes," Hope told us.

Klaus walked closer. "Hope, however much you dread your first transformation, once you go through it, you're gonna feel better."

"I don't know if I dread it, or if I wish that I could just turn and never turn back," Hope admitted. "Mom said that, after the pain, it's one of the best feelings in the world. Just can't believe I have to do this without her."

"I know no one can replace your mom," I told her. "But I do want to help."

Hope nodded. "I know, Kaylin. And I know Rae wants to help to. But I need to be alone."

Rae sighed. "As you wish."

**********

In the compound, Klaus and I were going to see Kol and Davina, when Kol opened the door to their room.

"Hello, brother," Klaus told him.

"Well, that's a suspiciously warm greeting," Kol told him.

Klaus smirked. "Paranoid, as usual, I see. But don't worry, it's not you we're looking for."

Davina walked into view. "Well then, it must be important if you're asking me for a favor. I'm in mourning, if you even care."

"I'm sorry about Josh," I told her sincerely. "But this is about Rae and Hope. The dark magic within them has had some peculiar side effects. They've got these dark lines, like poisoned veins running up their arms. Today, I noticed new lines on the back of their necks. We just need to know what it means."

**********

Since my sister-in-law Freya was going to get married to Keelin today, Rebekah and I were helping Freya pick out wedding dresses from Rebekah's collection.

"I look like a disco ball," Freya told us.

"There are plenty more to choose from," Rebekah told her.

Freya was disappointed that Elijah had said no to walking her down the aisle. "Never thought I'd be walking myself down the aisle."

"I'm sure Elijah will come around," I told her.

"I don't know," Freya admitted. "I mean, the Elijah I know would put anything aside for family, but he's different now. He's carrying around all this guilt, like he should be punished for the rest of eternity for the part he played in Hayley's death, but he didn't even know who she was when he did it. Kind of pisses me off."

"Yes, well, it wouldn't be a Mikaelson family gathering without one of us being mad at another one," Rebekah pointed out.

I chuckled. "Just wait till you have kids."