Chapter 6

Two Oceans in between us {Anne and Gilbert}

Anne's POV

Rain poured down on the schools windows. I watched intently as a drop of rain slid down the window, pulling along others with it. Miss Stacy wouldn't let us outside due to the weather, which means I'll have to explain to Matthew and Marilla why I was home late, although It's most likely raining there too. Chatter filled the dim lit classroom as I turned to see Diana and Ruby sitting next to me, their conversation kept at a low town, followed by some giggling. I glanced over to see Gilbert Blythe talking to Miss Stacy, her face looked confused but turned into a small smile and nod. Gilbert sat down at his usual table, pulling out a book he's probably read many times before. I admired his ambition to read, I too enjoyed it. My eyes slowly peeled away from him, landing on Thomas. He sat in the back of the class, having some small talk with boys I haven't had a chance to speak too. His blond waves look wavier due to the humidity outside. I tiled my head to the side as his eyes met mine, I gasped and quickly looked away.

"What do you think Anne?" Diana questioned me, my hands jittery. I gave her a confused expression and met her eyes. 

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" I questioned, trying my best not to look at Thomas. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him looking at me, which made me feel like something was wrong with me. I shook my head.

"Ruby was saying she was going to invite Gilbert over for tea after school, so she could see him before we left tomorrow." Diana said. My eyes moved from her's to Ruby. She was glancing across the way to look at Gilbert, his green eyes fixated on the book in front of him. 

"Your welcome to come Anne, Diana is coming too." Ruby added, a light blush formed across her cheeks as she turned to look at me, her eyes wide and smile big. I looked between her and Diana. This was going to be the last time I saw them before they left, I couldn't pass it up. I nodded.

"It would be lovely." I said, smiling. I laughed. Never would I ever though a couple years ago I would actually have friends, who loved and accepted me for who I am, you just have to wait for the right people. 

"Come on Thomas, confess!" The yell was heard from across the classroom. All ours eyes landed on the back of the room. A few boys surrounded him, laughing as Thomas sank into his chair. My eyes went back to Gilbert, his eyes confused and concerned.

"I don't know what your talking about." Even from the front of the schoolhouse I could still hear the hurt and fear in his voice, which made my heart sink. The boys laughed as one got up and stood on top of the wooden table.

"Thomas likes Anne!" The words flew out of his mouth, the whole room went silent. My whole body froze, I could feel eyes on me from every direction. My eyes focused on Thomas, his whole face looked shattered. I didn't know what to feel. Sympathy, anger, sadness, happiness? All I knew was Thomas, and how I first met him last night. I could feel my heart stamper inside my chest, my face burning up. Never in my life has anyone ever had a crush on me. Me! Anne Shirley Cuthbert, the girl who never stops talking and has an imagination as big as the world. I couldn't help but smile. My eyes shifted out of control to Gilbert, his eyes on me like daggers. His expression was something I couldn't read, making me curious to know what he was thinking. The schoolhouse door slammed shut, my eyes flying in the direction. Thomas wasn't in his seat.

"Thomas!" Miss Stacy yelled, exiting from the back room. Reality hit me fast as I looked outside, lightning cracked the sky. My adrenaline picked up as I jumped from my seat, running towards the door. Rain hit my pale skin, drenching my hair in a matter of seconds. My heart pounded a million miles an hour as a purple bolt of lightning struck the darkened sky.

"Thomas! Where are you It's Anne!" I screamed running further from the school house. I blocked out all the yelling and screams behind me. What mattered now is Thomas, and how i need to find him before things get worse. An outline of a figure came into view as I squinted to get a better look, it was coming over to me. I took a step back as Gilbert came into view, his normal dark curls turned to straight hair plastered on his face, eyes a dark hazel, green. Water poured down his face as he clenched his jaw.

"Gilbert I need to find Thomas." I said, pushing past him. Footsteps followed behind me, though I didn't bother to turn to face him again. For once I felt in a rush of panic, the last time i felt something like that was the fire at Ruby's house. I saw a little outline on the ground, making my heart skip a beat.

"Thomas." I whispered, jogging over. His blond hair was now darkened to a sandy color, making me gasp at his tan skin turned pale. I nearly screamed when I saw blood coming from is stomach, something in his chest. The whole world seemed to freeze as I couldn't take my eyes off the boys face. The lit-up, smiling face I saw this morning was now turned into a pale, motionless face. 

"Somebody help!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, kneeling down beside him. I didn't need to say anything else to know Gilbert was right behind me.

"Anne, whats wrong?" He questioned, before stopping in his tracks, Thomas in front of him.

"I-I saw him lying here. Gilbert please help him, the doctor you know is miles from here." My voice was shaky as he leaned down beside me. Another crack of lightning pitched the darkened sky, Gilbert's face lighting up for a split second before fading back to normal. What would this town do without him?

Lil note: Sorry for not updating, I started school and had a soccer tournament over this weekend, but anyway, I've been getting some comments on Gilbert's eyes color. I was honestly confused on it so I started to look up pictures of Lucas, in which some pictures of his eyes look dark others light, so I'm confused... but it is what it is :D