Chapter 3

Two Oceans in between us {Anne and Gilbert}

Anne's POV

My nerves felt as If they were on fire, my head burned with the many different scenarios that could occur. Sure, Gilbert was deep In study with the training to be a doctor, so he wouldn't mind me borrowing a book on how to help with a broken wrist. When Matthew fell yesterday I could of sworn he hit his head, instead he broke his wrist and developed a light cold, which went away by this morning. I watched Gilbert intently, watching as my fellow peers left the classroom, sense school was over. What was the big deal anyway? Of course he would let me barrow one. But of course I don't know If it tells you about broken bones In that particular book, which means I'll have to tell him why I'm asking if its in there, and that will lead me into the whole Matthew story, and then Gilbert will say he can just come over and do it himself, and-

"Anne? What are you still doing here?" And that's the end of my thinking. I looked up to be met with Gilbert's clouded green eyes, which looked as If they were deep In thought, his dark curly brown hair was tucked underneath his hat. I folded my arms over my chest and stood up, eyeing his books that were In his hands.

"I uh..." I took in a breath, shaking my head on how I really should of thought his through. I put on a little smile to at least try to make this whole act somewhat convincing. 

"Have you read of broken bones... In one of your books?" I questioned, trying to sound as calm as possible. Though, It was hard because all I really wanted to do was grab the book and run. Gilbert lifted his head up to the ceiling, signaling to me he was thinking. He raised an eyebrow and shook his head.

"Yes I have, but not currently on me. Why do you ask?" My heart skipped a beat as his comment. Of course of all questions he had to ask that one. I tapped my foot on the ground.

"Oh, I was just curious. In my past experiences when I was... not a Cuthbert, someone broke their wrist and I wanted to help. But I couldn't because I hadn't read up on it... So I would think now would be a good time. Just in case of course." I was quite proud of my answer, and how I didn't clam up and stamper on my words. I smiled proudly.

"Of course. If you want we would walk over to my house, I have the book there." Gilbert said, his face straight. I looked around, making sure no one was watching the conversation. Not that I minded, I just didn't want Ruby to think I was taking a romantic stroll with Gilbert to his house. Which was far from the reality. 

"Sure. But I can't be gone for long, Marilla wants me back a little earlier today." I said, knowing the real reason Is because I told her this morning I was going to get a book to help Matthew. I signed and started walking for the door, walking out into the hot sun. I sucked In a breath of fresh air, which felt good after the whole situation last night. Gilbert walked up next to me just as we entered the woods, the path disintegrating into twigs and leaves.

"So, whats the whole ideal of you become a teacher? Have any plans on that?" Gilbert asked. I smiled slightly before nodding.

"Well after college it would be great if I could stay here in Avonlea, but it depends of course." I added, my boots crunching on dried leaves. Gilbert tilted his head, giving me a confused look.

"What do you mean?" We turned left just as he said his comment, which made me frown slightly.

"Obviously the position would have to be open, and the next school house is a little west of Charlottetown."I said, the outline of his house coming into view. Which brings up the point if Sebastian and Mary would be staying there all this time. Maybe they've pursued the idea of becoming farmers like what Matthew did with Green Gables.