Chapter 1

Two Ocean in between us {Anne and Gilbert}

Anne's POV

The crisp light of day shone through my window, making me stir in my bed. I looked up at the white ceiling, eyeing the little marks carved into it. I let out a slight yawn, covering my mouth as I tossed the sheets off my warm body, letting cooler air consume me. Thoughts started to wonder into my head as i thought of what lesson Ms. Stacy would be teaching us today. I was mostly pondering about how much I enjoyed yesterdays lesson, how we all got the chance to drop something to compare at different speeds, according to gravity. Oh gravity, such an inspiring word. 

"Anne Shirley Cuthbert! Hurry down now or you'll be late for school!" Marilla's voice sounded from downstairs, making me gasp and hurring to get dressed. I hurriedly grabbed my things and opened the door in a swift motion, skipping a step as I went down the stairs. I went over and grabbed my hat from the table where Marilla always leaves it for me, before walking into the kitchen.

"No need to sit down now." Marilla mumbled, grabbing me my basket for lunch. I took it gladly, giving her a light smile before walking over to hug Matthew. 

"Bye!" I yelled, opening the screen door. I stepped outside, the cold hair hitting my pale, freckled face. When it got cooler outside, It reminded me of my first winter in Avonlea, how the trees were bare, like hands reaching out to get you. A shiver went up my spine as I remembered that scary story I wrote. I walked through the gate, now exciting Green Gables. It made me wonder where Jerry was, he's usually always out here for the morning. A light breeze shook the trees above me, making some leaves fly off the now bare branches. Snow was going to be coming soon, not sure if I was excited for that. Usually I was, snow reminded me of old tales on how the heroic prince stumbled through the blizzard, trying to reach his love. Tragic, really. Now Matthew makes me help shovel out the paths of snow, along with Jerry's help of course.

"Anne!" The familiar voice of Diana Barry sounded the empty woods. I smiled and turned to my left, watching her run over to me. I couldn't get over her beauty, the way her bouncy dark curly flowed as she ran, a little tan hat covering the top. She always dressed well, not to fancy, and not to casual. Not that her mother would let her ware anything of the sort. She looked good in blue, and it was one of my favorite colors. I laughed as we pulled each other in a warm embrace, before pulling away.

"Sorry I haven't been able to walk with you lately, mother is busy planning a trip." She said, putting it simply. I frowned. Diana's going on a trip without me? I shrugged it off, waving my basket back and forth as we walked.

"Oh, really? I'm actually surprised you're just walking to school now... you never go in late." I said, eyeing her carefully. She shrugged, her chocolate brown eyes looking down at the bare path.

"If I'm being honest with you Anne, I have no desire to go on this trip. I wish I could just stay here with you." Her voice was dull, not like the usual peppy Diana I knew. I glanced to my right, watching as the sun shown onto the bare trees, showing signs of morning dew.

"Well you're not going to be gone for that long, right?" I questioned, trying to make this conversation more enthusiastic. Diana met my eye and folded her arms across her chest, something she never did.

"I'm.. I'm not sure. I just overhead my parents speaking on how it would be nice to get out of Avonlea for a while. But I just don't know what a while means..." Her voice trailed off as we got into the clearing, the school house right up ahead. I smiled, slowly.