Chapter 1

"We really must congratulate you, dear. You have made a step into the wider world, I'm sure," said a pleasant woman sitting at the opposite end of the dinner table from myself. Her long dark hair was braided intricately behind her and she was dressed well, indicating her wealth.

"Beadle may not be an impressive of a title as some of your other siblings, it's certainly better than others." She glances at my brother sitting to her left who is unshaven and slouched over in his chair, asleep. He had barely been awake for the start of dinner, and likely wouldn't waken until after all the washing had been done.

"Thank you, mother. I am happy to please you," I stated, content to be praised above my eldest brother.

"If you wanted to please her, you should have chosen something like Politician or Lawyer. Those are respectful jobs, and they pay better, too," spat a man to my right. He kept himself very clean, and was very formal in everything he did.

"Hush now, John. Benny has a fine job. True, he's no Doctor like you, or a Business man, like my Albert, but he's better than our good for nothing eldest brother Tom over there," spoke up the last voice at the table. My sister, Elaina. She was recently married and very happy.

"Now, let's make something clear. I love all of my children equally, regardless of wealth or status. Understand?" spoke up our mother.

The three of us awake nodded, while Tom continued to snore. "Yes, mum."

"That's what I like to hear," said Mother. "Benny. There is going to be someone coming around to the house tomorrow that I would like you to meet. His name is Judge Turpin. He's not the nicest fellow, but he is respectable, and making friends with him will give you a better reputation."

"Of course, mother. I look forward to meeting him," I replied.

"Didn't I say you should've chosen something more respectable?" mumbled John.

Elaina stands up in outrage. "There you go again! Poking fun at Benny for not getting as good a job as you! You could at least try to be respectful!" she yelled.

"Alright. That's enough out of both of you," demanded Mother. "Elaina. It is getting late. I'm sure your husband will be expecting you home soon. Have John take you home."

Without another word, the pair of squabbling siblings left the table. The slam of the front door not closed carefully echoed through the house as Elaina and John left.

Mother sighed. "What can I do with them, Benny? What can I do..." she trailed off.

I returned to my food, eating in silence. My siblings and I made a point to eat dinner with Mother every week on Sunday. She got so lonely, especially since Father had passed on not that long ago. The weekly dinner was one of the only pleasures she had left in the world. The other being music.

"Why don't you go and play a song on the harmonium, Benny? I know you enjoy it, and you can humor your mother, too." requested Mother.

"Of course, Mother.I dearly love the harmonium." I replied, already standing and moving to the harmonium. At the harmonium, I sat down and opened the song book above the keys. Quickly, I turned to the most worm page in the book, Mother's favorite song. I put my hands on the keys and began to sing,
"If one bell rings in the Tower or Bray
Ding Dong
You true love will stay
Ding Dong
One bell today in the Tower of Bray
Ding Dong..."