Chapter 2: Insanity Begins

He kissed her soft lips once, twice, three times, four times, then devoured them whole. He could not get the delicate taste off his mind. With a gentle touch he swept her side bangs from her face, and stared deeply into her eyes.

He was in love with her. This girl was different, this girl was someone he could not possibly let go. He loved her so much, too much, desperately too much, like the skin on the back of his hand. She was so much more than just a lover to hold onto and cherish; she was his other half. The very piece he needed to fix the problem he held internally. She was insane; he knew that from the very start. But he could not let her go.

Was it her smile? Was or her insanity? Or the way she dressed or the way she drooled on his shoulder when she leaned over for a nap?

"I love you," he spoke to her, hugging her as close as he could.

For a second, she knew to say it back. But the words continued to fail her. Don't say it. Don't say I love you. Be strong. Be stronger. Be strongest...

She held him closer, till their hearts beat as a single unit, beating, beating, loving, loving...blending with the silence.

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

He walked her everywhere, supposedly to the bathroom, even. In high school, their lives were intertwined; most people saw them as one person split into two bodies, for their personalities mirrored each other perfectly.

Or so they thought. Or so they THOUGHT they were perfect, the couple that never split, the couple that stuck to each other like glue. He loved her. The feeling of comfort when he held her hand, the delicate feeling of serenity was accomplished when he was beside her. He walked her to the cafeteria, and wiped the seat clean before she sat down.

"I love you," he said, yet again, waiting for her response.

"Yeah, yeah," she yawned. "Don't hold me like that, please." She slapped his hand away, suddenly sweeping the smile off the boy's fragile face. "Hey I'm hungry. Did you pack anything for lunch?"

"You can have my sandwich, honey," he said politely.

He handed her the bag lunch and pecked her cheek softly. Her expression was aggressive, and he leaned away from the kiss. Quickly she spit out her gum and snatched the sandwich, which she ate greedily.

"Ham," she belched. "It's good."

Hurt, yet unmoved, the boy sighed and gave her a warm smile.

"Here," Sera belched again. "Have the rest, it's gross now." With that, she tossed the sandwich aside, and wiped her nose rudely.

Still, the boy smiled. Unmoving, he took the sandwich and the rest of what she did not devour. And closely, he watched and listened to her complain, talk about how stupid her life was, watched her push him aside, heard her belch, heard her whine, heard her cry and complain continuously. Still, he smiled.

"You're creepy," she kept repeating. "Stop smiling at me like that, Elijah."

"But you're beautiful, I can't stop looking at you without smiling."

"Give me a break," she laughed. "My face is so fucking ugly. So shut up and stop lying to me."

"You're beautiful. I would never say anything otherwise. You're amazing, babe."

Rolling her eyes, she continued to act like nothing mattered. Sear Jungwiwattana. She was insane. She was crazy. She was not normal. She was not the best, she was not the worst, but she was not average.

"Would you like anything else?" asked Elijah, grinning.

"Yeah, get the fuck away from me, that would be sweet," she laughed, hurting him like a possessed, demonic monster.

Sera slapped Elijah lightly, and laughed at the expression he gave. With more complaining and insane comments, ruining Elijah's lunch time, Elijah continued to sigh.

He placed two fingers on her lips to quiet her down. His eyes had enough, his ears had plenty, and his mouth could not express his emotions.

"It's fine, love, just hush," he whispered to her, and kissed her cheek once. "It will all be okay."

"Easy for you to say, you have the perfect life!" she complained.

Elijah twitched, and his heart hurt as the words escaped Sera's lips. Perfect life. The perfect, mistake-proof life. Impossible. He clenched his fists and rubbed his fingers together. His green eyes twinkled, almost fragile like glass. Perfect life. The words replayed in his head like her ceaseless complaints.

"Stop it," he finally hissed. "Why don't you just calm down? Obviously you didn't sleep well last night, since you keep blabbing on and on."

"You're a horrible boyfriend," she growled, leaving her seat.

Twitching, clenching his fists roughly, Elijah tried to calm down. He watched her, once more, leaving him again and move on to another table. For a moment, the world stopped spinning, for a second, the world just froze.

And all he could see was her. Leaving. Walking. Escaping. Leaving him with a hurting heart.

"Wait," he called, running to catch her, bumping into numerous angry students in his way. "Wait, Sera!" he called again, reaching out to catch the straps of her bag. He was close to her, he was two feet from her, he almost had her, he almost--

"What the fuck are you doing?"

Sera, pissed, turned and faced Elijah with the scariest face he had ever seen. Her nostrils flared, like the tips of an active volcano, and her eyes, now pools of fiery wrath, looked at him with explosive anger. Lips curling, hands on her infamous hips, she stared him down like a villain in a Disney movie.

"Come back here, babe, come sit next to me at the table," he pleaded, taking her hand. "I'm sorry for being a horrible boyfriend. It was my fault."

Smiling, she accepted his blame, and followed him to the table, the grin widening on her face. Elijah turned his head away, recalling all the hurtful things, all the poison that escaped her lips, and blinked away the emotions.

"I love you," he whispered to her, as they sat back down on the table. "I love you so much."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," she responded, as always, never feeling the pain, or the sorrowful tears he cried.