Chapter 4: Delve

Annabeth thanked the driver absentmindedly, paid the fare and got out the cab. Before her was the same old Central Park she had visited just two hours ago on what was supposed to be a happy occasion.

Instead, as though the Fates were playing some sort of sick joke, it had ended up with Percy needing magical therapy and her investigating the cause of the Cetus after the latter had effectively ruined their date.

Gods, and he didn't even remember it. Sure, Hestia would be explaining the events, but it wasn't the same, was it? As short as the date was, she enjoyed it all. The comfortable silence between them as they walked to Central Park, the conversation between them, and he was about to "officially" ask her out...

Well, technically, going on a date meant they were already together right? She mentally slapped herself. Why was she even considering these things? At this point, the Fates were definitely personally interested in playing the largest prank known to demigod-kind.

Then again, when were the Fates not playing a sick joke? The thought of that soured her mood even further. The trail she walked alone now was the same as the one she had walked with Percy, burgers in their hands, enjoying some time specially for each other, like normal teenagers.

Finally, she reached the lake, which had returned to its original hue of light marine, without monster dust polluting its waters. Standing a few feet away, she remembered the conversation she had that brought her back here.

"A Cetus?" Chiron sounded puzzled. "Those are extremely rare, and one that's been living in the mortal world for so long whilst staying dormant...it's strange. If memory serves, their nests must be at least 20 feet deep."

"I know, I want to check out the lake again. See if it's some sort of monster nest, or what's so weird about it. I mean, with so much food walking around everyday, something doesn't add up." She replied.

"It's dangerous," he cautioned, "If it is a monster nest, you may want to bring backup."

"No, I won't go into the lake. I can use Daedalus' laptop to do a scan. If there's more of them, I'll send a Iris Message." She said, not up for having company, or for other people wondering what Annabeth was doing at Central Park to discover a lurking sea monster.

"Well, if you want to. Would you like to at least tell whoever you want for backup to get ready? If you need it, of course."

"Sure. I'll get Malcolm and Clarisse."

Chiron shook his head. "Someone must lead the Athena cabin in your absence. I can spare Ms La Rue, but you'll have to find someone else, preferably not a Head Counselor."

Annabeth groaned internally. She didn't want more people to be asking questions. The Head Counselors already knew, and Annabeth trusted them enough to not spill this out to the camp. As for Malcolm, he was the sibling she was closest to. Anyone else was a liability.

Chiron seemed to read her thoughts. "Why are you afraid of people finding out?" He questioned.

Annabeth bit her lip. "I just - I don't want everyone to know that something's wrong with Percy."

"Child, what Perseus is going through is very normal, especially for a demigod who has done what he did. The camp will understand."

"You weren't there," Annabeth wanted to say, but bit back the retort. "I'll find someone then," she conceded. "Then I'll get going."

The centaur nodded. "May the Fates protect you."

A sharp laugh pulled Annabeth from her thoughts. She turned around to see a couple walking by the gravel path. They were both about her age. The guy had his arm around the girl and was - Annabeth assumed - telling a joke, eliciting the giggle from the dark-haired girl. Annabeth swivelled her head back before they noticed. She hoped they hadn't.