Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

As he walked back into the streets, he was immensely relieved when he didn't see his former mentor in sight. He rushed a little on his way down the street while still seeming casual at the same time and as he got to the bathhouse his team was just leaving.

"Oh, hey Naruto. I thought you went to the inn?" Rin was the first to notice him, he was so soundless when he moved, like a ghost.

"Well, I came to give you your keys." he handed Rin hers then held up the other two. "These are double rooms so who wants to be my roommate?" he asked playfully. Kakashi snorted and walked over to him, grabbing a key.

"No way am I going to spend a whole night in the same room as Obito on purpose." he commented as he started in the direction of the inn leaving the others behind. Obito opened his mouth to retort but shut it when Naruto gave him a look.

Naruto handed the other key to Minato. "Guess that leaves you and Obito then." he felt as if he had dodged a bullet with this one, he could only imagine the questions that would spew from the jounin's mouth if there was no one else to listen.

"Oh Naruto?" Obito spoke. "You never answered my question from earlier." he reminded, referring to the one about his ranking in the team.

Naruto thought about it, since he was jounin he should technically be called Naruto-Sensei since he was considered a leader or whatever, but it was never really specified. Besides, technically these kids were born before him so it just didn't sound right to him. Also, it would be pretty weird if the one he had always called Sensei started to refer to him as that.

"You can just call me Naruto. Minato is your sensei, I'm more like. . . a temporary helper." he decided.

"Temporary?" repeated Rin questioningly. Naruto just smiled at her and stayed silent, never offering the poor girl an answer.

|¤|Ω|¤|

The room was way small. Much smaller than a double room ought to be. The two beds were on opposite walls leaving maybe five feet of space between them. Naruto looked at it displeasingly for a while before taking the bed by the window. Kakashi glared at his back, he wanted the window, but took the other one regardless.

They started to prepare for a night's sleep when Kakashi just had to ask what had been on his mind since the hot springs. "I have a question of you don't mind." he said. Naruto didn't look at him but nodded for him to proceed. The silver-haired boy hesitated.

"Well. . . it's about the scar you have on your right shoulder. . . uh see I have been developing this new jutsu, it's a lightning jutsu called chidori. The scar you have looks identical to the one that would be left by it." he explained.

"You want to know who gave it to me and what jutsu they used." it wasn't even a question. Kakashi stared at him, expectant of his answer.

Naruto sighed sadly. "A man named Sasuke gave it to be, and he did use a lightning style jutsu. I'm not quite sure what he called it though." Naruto answered in a tone that suggested he didn't want to be pried anymore on the matter

Sasuke. That name sounded familiar, where had he heard it before? The chunnin had always had a sharp memory so it was beyond frustrating that he couldn't place it.

"Well, I'm going to bed now so g'night." Naruto said before he cuddled under his covers facing the window.

Kakashi knew he would most likely be up all night with the name stuck in his head but he crawled into his bed all the same and was surprised when it didn't take him long to fall asleep at all.

|¤|Ω|¤|

Kakashi woke in a cold sweat. The names were swimming in his mind while the faces stayed just out of his reach. But the names. . . he recognized them - well two of them. There was Sakura, Sasuke and Naruto. He couldn't remember exactly what the dream had been about but he did remember feeling a sense of protectiveness and anger.

"G'morning Little Man. We are going to check out the bar that the Cloud ninja are rumored staying at." Naruto's voice interrupted his thoughts. Kakashi nodded and grabbed his bag to get his clothes.

"Hey Naruto... ?" Kakashi trailed hesitantly. Why did he always have such troubling asking the man questions? Naruto, who had been in the bathroom, appeared in the door way with a toothbrush sticking out from his mouth. He looked at the boy expectantly.

"Uhhh. . . well see I was wondering. . . ummm. . ." for some reason Kakashi felt as if this was very sensitive territory.

"Just spit it out." Naruto demanded. Why couldn't he have just left it alone? Kakashi took his eyes from the floor to look at the blonde's curious face.

"Well. . . did you ever know someone named 'Sakura'?" he asked. Naruto froze at the sound of the name. That's a yes then? Kakashi thought. He soon regretted his words as Naruto's eyes narrowed ever so slightly, trying to conceal the conflict that danced across his face.

"Why do you ask?" Naruto inquired in a carefully nonchalant tone. Kakashi thought about back tracking and saying it was nothing, but as Naruto's gaze held his it demanded his honesty.

"I had a dream last night. I can't remember it all but I remember that there was a kid that had your name. And there were two others, Sakura and Sasuke." he paused to gauge his reaction. When he saw nothing but contemplation he continued. "You mentioned someone named Sasuke gave you that scar, who is he? Who is Sakura?"

Naruto looked at him with many emotions he couldn't identify. After a few seconds that felt as if they lasted for hours, Naruto broke his gaze and walked back into the washroom. Kakashi could hear him spit out the toothpaste and rinse his toothbrush. He came out again and without so much as a glance his way Naruto packed his belongings back into his pack.

Just as Kakashi decided he wasn't going to receive an answer he spoke. "They were my teammates back when I was a genin." Kakashi was surprised by this for some reason.

"If Sasuke was your teammate, why would he do that to you?" he couldn't help but question. Naruto sighed and hung his head.

"It's a very long and complicated story, and to be honest it's not my story to tell." Naruto responded. Kakashi was dying to know what had happened to Naruto. He felt the desire to understand Naruo as he felt Naruto understood him. This was unfamiliar to Kakashi but he couldn't help it, it had been so long since someone had looked at him like Naruto did, like they actually cared for him and not just his potential as a ninja. Now that he thought back on the few days he had known him he realized Naruto treated him the way he imagined an older brother would. Whatever the case Kakashi felt oddly trusting towards the man, and if he was being honest, it felt nice. It felt like family.