0

Prologue
Rough fingers gently slide across my back, gently easing me awake. Sunlight pours through the windows, illuminating the room.
I sit up quickly, groggy from sleep, my eyes scanning my surroundings. Memories from last night start to flood back into my brain.
Oh. Oh.
Damon rolls over, his brown bangs falling gently against his forehead. Bright turquoise eyes shine gently, and I fight the urge to smile at the sight of his face.
"Elena. Good morning," he whispers as I lie back down, my eyebrows furrowed. "How did you sleep?"
I raise an eyebrow at him, and humour dances in his eyes. We both know that neither of us got much sleep last night- we were up late doing other activities. Damon tilts his head.
"What's wrong?"
I shake my head.
"Just tired," I breathe. It's the truth- the past two weeks have been absolutely perfect. Peaceful, even, giving me plenty of time with Damon. He nods, trailing his index finger across my cheekbones.
"All right."
And suddenly, my perfect world is shattered by a sudden stab of pain in my throat. I frown, lifting my fingers to feel the pain.
It shifts from slight pain to a burning fire, and I sit up straight, taken aback.
"Damon, what-" I choke, the fire spreading to below my throat. "What's going on?"
Damon quickly sits up, his arm moving around my back to comfort me. I cough, and he rubs a circle around the small of my back, his eyebrows furrowed in the centre of his forehead.
"What's happening?" He asks, cautiously but frantically, as I cough, choking, panicked.
And, abruptly, the searing pain spreading through my abdomen.
I push the covers off my body, one hand clasped over my lips. Panicking, I sprint to the bathroom, groping the door for a doorknob until my hands touch soft brass. I push it open, stumbling blindly to the toilet. My insides immediately tighten as all the contents of my past few meals come out my throat, resulting in a bloody mess surrounding the toilet.
I moan, falling back into a sitting position.
Vampires can't get sick. The last time this happened, I was sired to Damon. But I know I'm not sired. I've been a vampire for a little while now.
What's happening to me?
+++