Chapter 3: chaos

Gladys punches her alarm clock. Now this would be completely fine if this was a normal alarm clock. In fact it is a very common occurrence for groggy people to slam their hands against their beeping clock.

However, Gladys does not have any old alarm clock. She has Hannah who is also her nurse.

Hannah holds her nose in a vain attempt to stop the blood that is spurting out. Gladys smiles and thinks to herself, that's what you get when you mess with my beauty sleep. Two hours later Hannah, with a taped up nose tries again.

"Gladys get up." Hannah glares at the arrogant lump that makes up the cranky old lady.

"You better knock it off unless you want a messed up face.... although you're already pretty ugly." Gladys laughs to herself enjoying her "hilarious" humor.

"Fine suit yourself. Oh did I mention there's bacon for breakfast?" Hannah drawls out the word bacon as slowly as possible.

Gladys shoots up and jumps out of bed as quick as a lightning bolt. She pushes Hannah aside making her fall into the wall. She sprints down the hall ignoring the numerous voices telling her to slow down.

Two minutes later she sits looking satisfied with three plates piled high with bacon.

She glares at Walter wishing he would choke on his pancake. A nurse sits by the dementia patient telling him over and over that he needs to drink his pink medication. He puts a pancake in the drink and yells, "help! Help! Help! Help! I need some help over here. We need some help over here!

Gladys looks at Walter then spots a roll of duct tape. Bacon forgotten, she grabs the roll, walks over to Walter and shuts him up; at least until his nurse gently pulls the tape off.

Gladys is soon escorted away from the dining room. She spits at the nurse for taking her away from her bacon. The nurse tells her to knock it off and because of the strong grip on her arm she complies.

She sits on a ratty plaid couch. In the corner she spies an thin old lady with bright blue eyes. She is painting but every couple of minutes she stops and rests. An oxygen tank at her feet makes Gladys think she is a "no good smoker."

"Hey ugly what are you painting?"

The old lady jumps a little, startled. "My nurse, and I'm not ugly."

"Well aren't you a teachers pet.... no you're a nurses pet which is even worse." Gladys nose crinkles, "You are the ugliest person I've ever seen."

"Ok." Mary goes back to mixing paints.

"Ok? You are strange. Does the ugly one have a name?"

"Mary." Mary does not even look up her brows furrow in concentration.

"I'm Gladys, the one that made Hannah's nose broken."

"Yes I know." Mary softly responds.

"Are you afraid of me?" Gladys smirks.

"No the only one I fear is my Lord Almighty." Mary swipes more paint onto the canvas.

"That may change see you later." Gladys hobbles off.

~Sorry it took so long! I've had county fair and now I'm on vacation. Comment if you are even slightly enjoying this book because I'm getting a little discouraged. Thank you for reading!!! 💗