ONE

"so it's just gon be y'all two? by yourselves?"

jahseh

i leaned against the cool tiled wall of stokeley's "kitchen" if you could even really call it that - it was more of a wall with counters, a minifridge, and a microwave plugged in in the corner. i had swung by to say my last goodbyes to him before michael and i's trip. the trip wouldn't be that long - 18 hours there and 18 hours back, but stokeley would have never let me hear the end of it if i forgot to tell him bye before leaving, so i stopped by to tell him goodbye.

why were michael and i going on a trip, you ask? because school was out, and he needed someone to drive him up to his hometown of canton, ohio for the summer. he'd do it himself, but his car was an old piece of shit that he got off of craigslist because he was tired of ubering everywhere, and his pockets were as well.

so me being the good friend that i was, offered to drive him up there myself. he insisted that i didn't have to, and that he'd just suck up his fear of planes and buy a ticket no matter how terrifying the idea of being in a suspended vehicle in the air was to him, but i wasn't going to let him go out like that.besides, i kinda always wanted to go on a road trip.

the only problem was that i wasn't exactly the best driver, but neither are half of the niggas out here driving every day. miami is home to some of the worst drivers on the planet, it would be more effective to just fucking swim everywhere through the various swamps, rather than try to drive with the idiots on the road.

"so...you sure you gon be able to fend for yourself when i'm gone? last time i left you almost burned down half the campus." i joked with stokeley, which prompted him to frown back at me.

stokeley rolled his eyes at me and groaned "stop being so damn dramatic, i didn't almost burn down half the campus, i just accidentally put foil in the microwave. that's it."

"and you would have burned down half the campus in the process, anyways..." i replied before going into his fridge and grabbing a capri sun and some stringed cheese to snack on while we talked.

"so you just walking into my kitchen and helping yourself to whatever you want huh?" he asked in an indignant tone.

"what's yours is mine stoke, we've been over this," i said matter-of-factly as i sat on the kitchen counter and began to sip my capri sun.

"didn't i tell you to keep your ass off of my counter? people eat there."

i sucked my teeth at him. "you sound like my damn mama. 'kEeP yOuR aSs oFf mY cOuNtEr' like damn let a nigga sit where he pleases."

he rolled his eyes at me. i loved getting on his nerves.

"so...you really driving michael to ohio for him? you're such a good friend couldn't be me," stokeley tuts, changing the subject since he realized i wasn't getting off of his counter. "is he at least going to pay you gas money? because...."

"i'm doing it out of the goodness of my heart, something that you wouldn't know about," i shot back. "and yeah, he said he'd pay me back, even though i told him he didn't have to."

" why does michael need you to drive him anyway? can't he just take flight to cleveland or some shit? i doubt he's that broke. and don't he have his own car? i get you're doing him a favor and all, but i'm confused as to why he needs the favor in the first place," stokeley continued to question me.