Modern Day High School AU: Chapter 5 FINALCHAPTER

As Steve watched Bucky get into the car, all he could think about was how embarrassing his car was. 

Who comes to pick up their crush in his 2004 Toyota Corolla, he thought, I mean, COME ON. 

"So," Bucky said, "what do you think we should study today? I really think imaginary numbers are gonna be a huge topic, so maybe we should do that."

"Sounds like a plan," Steve agreed. 

"Anyways, how are you and Peggy doing?" Bucky asked. 

"If one more person mentions Peggy Carter around me," ranted Steve, "I'm going to flip."

"Oh...ok," Bucky said while shrinking in his seat a little. 

"What I'm, uh, trying to say I guess," Steve stumbled over his words, "is that we're not dating. I'm single." 

"Oh." Bucky perked up in the slightest bit. 

This particular action was overlooked by Steve, who was entirely focused on the road. 

The rest of the car ride was spent in silence as Bucky and Steve contemplated each other's comments and reactions. 

As Steve pulled into the library's parking lot, he said, "I take it you know this place like the back of your hand, Buck. Is it okay if I call you Buck?"

"I do," replied Bucky, "And sure. I like the nickname."

They got out of the car, and Bucky started whistling happily, a tune Steve couldn't quite place. 

When the pair got into the library, they picked a table near the back, next to the nonfiction section. 

Bucky pulled out his textbook, some paper, a pencil, and a calculator and they got to work. 

Two hours later, Bucky was feeling confident in his ability to ace this test. They packed up their things, pushed in their chairs and walked back to the car. 

"We should do something sometime," Steve said. 

"Maybe we should," said Bucky, as he started to rise onto his toes, "or maybe we should see this one out."

And he kissed Steve. 

And Steve recognized the tune he had been whistling earlier. It had been "Can't Help Falling in Love," by Elvis Presley. Of course. How Steve had not noticed any of this earlier, nobody knew. But here they were now. 

And they got in the car, and it was one of the best car rides Steve had ever had.