Chapter 19

After that little drama this afternoon Rae went to the hospital to check on Lapin.

Seeing him awake and now sitting on the bedside in a daze, she suddenly reached out and pinched his chin.

"Tell me how should I repay you?"

Lapin opened his eyes wide and looked at her in horror. He wanted to shake his head but he couldn't. Fear crept up his spine.

"I don't want to die..."

"Ah really..." This is boring, his really easy to read.

The eyes are the mirror of the soul and reflect everything that seems to be hidden; and like a mirror, they also reflect the person looking into them.

"The reflection I saw... Is not the pure Raeka I know."

I shook my head to get rid of the thoughts and focused my eyes on Lapin.

Lapin's reddening eyes cast a glance at the girl in front of her. The girl was young but her presence was already this intimidating.

"Why are you so afraid to die, when this hand of yours has already taken many lives?" The coldness of her whole body was fierce and compelling, her voice was like a thousand years old ice.

"12 years ago... On a new year's eve your group had taken a mission to assassinate a family of four. Who commissioned you?"

Lapin's body trembled.

"12 years ago?"

"Ah this sucks! It's the new year but the leader accepted a task. F*ck!"

"Can't even give us a little break."

Seeming to remember something he exclaimed. "Ah!"

*Flashback*

"Lapin! Since your still quite new to this, you stand guard for us."

"Wha- why?" Lapin whine

"You still don't have much experience. Where not dealing with some small fry here! What if you die in their hands? Leader will skin me alive!"

"But second..."

"No buts. Go get ready we will set out in 5 minutes."

Lapin grumbled all the way till they arrived at their destination.

"This is unfair. At least let me see how you guys operate?!"

"Lapin. Your assignment is the most important one. A lookout is not just being a lookout. You are also responsible for keeping the team alive." Said second in a serious voice.

"Who is our target? What is their background?" I asked curiously but second just glance at me and didn't answer.

"Who is our client?" Asking this I saw him grip his gun tightly.

"We don't know. But that sunnovabitch calls himself God."

"God?"

"Yes God." Second barked out then hollered in laughter and left.

Not long later we arrived at our destination. They entered the mansion to fulfill the task and I was left outside to guard. Few minutes later sounds of gunshots and screams echoed through the quiet forest.

After setting the mansion in fire we quickly departed.

When we we're rushing back to our base we we're ambushed.

The only thing I remembered was everyone dying for protecting me.
I escaped death in exchange for my comrades lives.

But when I returned to our base to report, it was already in ruins.

After telling her all this Lapin glimpse at Rae. She was now sitting down at a chair not far from the bed, tapping her fingers on the armrest carelessly.

The taps were heard loud and clear. For Lapin this seems like a countdown, when this stop, his life would come to an end.

"How old are you?" Lapin jumped up at the sudden question.

"I'm thir-thirty three."

"Am I going to die at this age?" He was sweating profusely.

"Relax. I won't kill you. You still have a role to play."

Before he could heaved a sigh of relief. He saw her curved her lips into a devilish smile.

Lapin retreated in horror. He opened his mouth and wanted to shout but before his voice came out... Something flew inside his mouth before he could spit it, it melted directly when it touch his tongue.

"It won't kill you but you still have to suffer a little pain. If you can't bear it then you should come find me."

After she left, his body shook and he fell back to the bed.
He wanted to call for help but his fear made him unable to let out any sound.