I stare at him, trying to calm myself down. I must really look like an idiot. What was I thinking? I mean I didn’t think that my fear of heights was this bad. But what did I expect it to be like? My heart calms down some, and not looking down is actually helping. When it starts to move again I remove my hand from Cory’s quickly. And secure them back on the bar. I smile at him and he smiles back.                       

“Want to go get something to eat before I take you back? I think there’s a good pizza place here.” Cory commented, I was about to tell him I wasn’t hungry when my stomach growled. I glance over at him, he didn’t hear it. I shake my head, pizza is good and all but I know a better place.

“Conner Bake Shop, that’s where you going to want to go. They have the best cupcakes.” I felt a lot calmer, which was great because I didn’t want to ruin the fun time we were having.                

“Oh? Does someone have a sweet tooth?” Cory looks over at me with a knowing look. I would be embarrassed but I knew that he enjoys sugary foods as much as I do.                  

'~'~~~'~

“This is so good!” Cory says while trying to shove the rest of the dark cupcake into his mouth. I laugh at him; I didn’t want to look like a pig in front of him so I ate mine slower than I normally would.     

“I told you.” I smile hugely at him. It’s ten at night, and I’m not sure if I was supposed to be home by now or not. And I’m not worrying myself with it.

“Hey, when are you supposed to be home?” Cory is now finished with his cupcake and he’s glancing at me. He also shifts his gaze to the counter, like he wants to go get another but he’s not sure.

“Whenever you get tired of me! Oh, and go ahead and get that third cupcake. You know you want it.” I tease him, and watch him shake his head. Still deciding, eventually he gets up and goes to the counter. He pulls up his wallet and buys two more. He comes back and passes one to me before slowly devouring one of them. I couldn’t help watching him eat a vanilla cupcake this time, and I try not to laugh when he gets a little white frosting on his top lip.

“Thank you.” I tell him before I eat mine as fast as Cory ate his last one. I figure he could see worse things than me eating fast.

“You know, they don’t really have cupcakes in Russia. They have these fruit cake type things. No frosting, and there’s actually fruit in them!” His almost rough accent makes me laugh along with his shock.

I made a gagging noise. “That’s just horrible. How did you live?” I wink at him and finish my last cupcake. He shakes his head and shrugs, like he has no idea.

“Let’s get you home then!” Cory scoots back in his chair and holds his hand out, smiling I take it as we walk back to his car.

~

The lights are still on when I get home and I check the time on my phone, eleven on the dot.

“You’re not late, are you?” Cory asks me worriedly. I guess he assumes that I have some strict father or something that is going to be mad at him for keeping me out so late.

“I don’t think so; my mom didn’t really give me a time.” I shrug and look at him. “I really had fun tonight. Thanks for taking me, and paying for everything.”

“Anytime. I really mean it. I’m glad I met you on my first day here, and didn’t have to beat around the bush looking for someone awesome. Just call me anytime you want to hang out.” He smiles at me brightly and his eyes are shining so bright.

I lean in for a hug, but it’s hard to do in a car. Especially a little one. I hug him for a few seconds, and he smells good. Before I can pull away he kisses me on the cheek. I blush a little bit, I didn’t see that coming. I feel a little happier when I see a light blush on his cheeks, which is almost hard to see since it’s dark out.

I get out of the car, waving at him before I turn to walk up the steps. I almost fall, but save myself. I open the door and my mom is sitting there with a beer in hand. Her boyfriend is on the couch, and they both have their eyes set to the television. When I shut the door they barely glance at me. My mom has gotten drunk so many times that I think her tolerance for alcohol is messed up. She doesn’t get stupid drunk anymore, she get’s I-don’t-know-where-I-am right now but it’s alright drunk.           

“Alice has been crying for the past thirty minutes.” My mom croaks to me in a voice filled with ash. I roll my eyes slightly. She believes in letting a baby cry it out for a while, at least while she was under the influence. I can’t find it in myself to be pissed at her or even annoyed really because I still have a smile on my face that could light up this run down town.