Eyes Vacant And Stained

Chapter Two.
Title from Early Sunsets Over Monroeville by My Chemical Romance.

I opened the motel room, slightly nicer than the one that is constantly rented out to me. Upon walking in, the walls weren't covered in floral wallpaper and the furniture was slightly newer.

After putting my things down, I washed my hands and decided to look at Frank Iero's file once more, specifically at where I can find him.

•He lives alone in an apartment.
•He works at a coffee shop.
•He's just turned twenty years old.

This one will actually be rather easy, I began scheming how it would be done.

I'll visit the coffee shop, I was given the name of the coffee shop but not the apartment address. I'll follow him home, break into his apartment, maybe knock him out before giving him an overdose of heroin. I'll leave drugs to make it look ligitimate, and then it's done.

I glanced at his picture again and wondered why exactly I was hired to kill him, and why I was unable to know the reason. Perhaps she thinks I wouldn't go through with it for some reason.

I don't have much of a choice.

I don't do this for money, none of us really do. Miss Florence is paid by people to have them killed, she keeps the majority of the money while we get a small amount of money from our kills. Most people don't mind this, I don't. We live in the house without rent, and she feeds us, the money is for whatever we want it to be used for. She saved us, we work for her.

I got ready and packed my bag with the drugs and other just-in-case weapons. I drove the short distance to the small coffee shop and walked in, ordering coffee and sitting down.

My trembling hand made the server give me a strange look as I thanked her for the coffee.

My eyes scanned the room for Frank, but I didn't find him, not at first. Frank didn't come in until ten minutes after I had been there, he rushed in and I noticed him immediately. He had a choppy black haircut that fell slightly in front of one of his eyes before he pushed it away. He was small, and his entire demeanor was like a physical image of anxiety.

"Frank, you're late again" My server spoke in a scolding tone as he walked by her, his dull and swollen eyes falling on me for a split second.

"I know, I'm sorry" he said in a raspy voice that almost made me rethink this entire thing.

My eyes followed him as he disappeared in the back room for a moment before he emerged once more with an apron on. When I looked at him, all I saw was pain, overwhelming and suffocating pain. It made me glad to be numb for once.
He looked like pain, sounded like pain, and probably smelled like pain too. I almost had to force myself from looking into his broken and lost gaze.

Multiple times, I saw him standing at the cash register, zoned out on something. I could feel that pain too, especially as he forced himself from his thoughts and woke up to the world, trying to dismiss the pain that radiated from him.

He was simply beautiful in the most confusing way.

Stop. Stop. Stop.
I have a job here, that's it. By the end of the night I'll have to kill him, I'll watch the life slip out of his body, the sad eyes be replaced with death.

It was a split second after taking a sip of the rather warm coffee that our eyes met. His tragically sad ones with my lifeless ones. I wondered if he could see the emptiness, I wondered if he knew of a way to heal my emptiness.

I sat in the shop for awhile before deciding to sit in my car until Frank got off of work, I waited for hours, and when he finally left it was just becoming night. The last of the colors from the sunset were fading from pink, to purple, to blackness.
I realized that Frank didn't drive here, he walked, so I got out of my car carrying the bag of essentials. It was something that stopped me, something that made me rethink it all, something that made me wait for the next day.