chapter two

School was over and summer had started once again, only this time Ella was fifteen. She had finally felt allowed to actually call herself a teenager. Though, she still kinda felt like she was in that pre-teen stage, often compared her chest to other girls her age. She wasn't that insecure about her body, it was only sometimes she pointed it out. She felt she had somewhat of a mature body and she liked it for that.

With summer starting, she was spending it in Castle Rock. They were actually just arriving in Oregon, driving a long ways from Fresno. Her mom thought it was best to stay the summer there to keep her grandpa some company. Her uncle lived with him there but the family figured that he got lonely sometimes.

Ella didn't mind going if it meant being there for her gramps, she only wish she knew some people there. It was times like this she wish she weren't an only child. She thought it was nice to get away from everyone and everything, the sound of city traffic and the constant busy people.

*

Chris never went to the treehouse anymore. He went his last two times just a couple days after his fourteenth birthday. It was just a distant memory to him now. He wouldn't be surprised if Teddy and Vern still went there occasionally, but he wasn't friends with them anymore. He couldn't forget them if he tried though, especially with the unforgettable memories they left that somewhat shaped him into who he was. He wasn't as close to Gordie as he was before, being in different social groups now, but that definitely didn't stop them from being friends. They still hung out and talked every now and then.

At this point he was getting bored of his life, but found his self a part time job waiting tables, saving as much as he could to get out of the little town. He always had that doubt in the back of his mind, but it never stopped him from trying in the slightest. He also tried to pay as much attention as he could in school too.

Although he tried to stay focussed, he did have his eye on this one girl. They weren't exactly friends, but weren't exactly strangers either. She was sweet and had a nice personality. She was very beautiful to Chris. Her name was Veronica, but anyone that knew her just called her Vee. They met by mutual friends.

Chris being sixteen now, allowed his self to drink. Chris' friends started drinking a little younger then he decided to. He didn't really want the reputation of his family to wear off on him, even though it kind of already did. He knew it still did, but he just felt guilty drinking for some reason; when he was younger anyway. He didn't really see why people enjoyed it that much, having bad memories behind his family being under the influence.. but right now I guess it was just some sort of a peer pressure kind of thing for him. Not by anyone forcing him though, just watching everyone else around him enjoy it.

At the moment Chris was drunk, being with a group of other teenage boys along with some of there girlfriends and some of there girlfriends friends, the majority of the party being boys though. They usually just went down by the creek to have a few beers and make a fire.

He was currently sitting by the small creek, next to Vee, trying to have a conversation away from the crowd. At the time it was hard for him to tell if she had any interest in him, but everyone else around them was betting on when and if they'd ever make things official.

"Do you like me?" Veronica asked him, with a sudden boost of confidence.

"I was kind of hoping it was obvious.." he chuckled and continued to drink the beverage he had in his hand.

"I was just making sure." She said quietly then started to fiddle with her hands, looking down at them. She looked back up at Chris and gave him a look that confused him for awhile. After that, she was soon attacking his lips with hers. He didn't really respond at first, still being confused but once he realized what was going on he her kissed back.

Soon the crowd behind them noticed and they started applauding. This caused them to stop, both their faces getting red at the sudden attention.

"What was that?" Chris asked, amazed that she wasn't as shy as she usually was.

"I don't even know.." she chuckled, feeling kind of weird about it but quickly brushing it off then leaned her head on his shoulder.

After that they went for a walk, despite being drunk they'd been able to keep their balance so that was enough for them to wander off with each other. He was most likely just walking her home though. Or so he thought.

The next morning he woke up confused with his head throbbing. He wasn't so confused anymore when he looked around and the scene around him answered all his questions. He woke up in a girly room, his clothes scattered around the floor, laying next to Vee

"Oh god." He muttered under his breath and rolled over. He got up and picked up his boxers that were right next to the bed and got up to collect the rest of his clothes.

He looked over to Veronica who looked so beautiful and peaceful asleep. He felt guilty for the way things had played out last night, but had to admit he also kind of enjoyed it. I guess he just wish he could have just waited till they were both sober.. he wondered how she'd feel about waking up to find him gone, but he knew if her parents decided to wake her up and found him there, she'd get in trouble.

He noticed she didn't look so peaceful anymore and almost like she was about to throw up. He reacted quickly by grabbing the trash can and pulling the girl up, scared that she might have choked on her own puke. She eventually woke up and held the trash can on her own, Chris used his hand to pull her hair back and rub her back.

The girl was still only in her panty, so he reached over and grabbed her shirt to give it her. She just took it and slid it on. After she was done she had some water, and not a word was being said. When Chris felt she was alright, he began making his way out the window.

"Chris.." she stopped him before he was completely out the window. He looked back, feeling kind of bad for the lack of words being said.

"Don't tell anyone about last night, please?" She asked, meaning she didn't want him to go and brag about having her to other boys. He felt bad that she even felt the need to ask that.

"I wouldnt do anything to make you look bad." That being said, he felt the need to prove it. He climbed back in her room and despite her being done hurling, he looked passed that by her drinking water and kissed her. She kissed him back and she felt that maybe his intentions with her weren't as bad as she thought after all.

1963