chapter twenty two

One month later

Breathe in. and out. in. and out. 

I get down from my car and glance at the familiar church, heart thudding slightly. The familiar red and white walls and dome shaped windows.

 "C'mon Louis, hurry up this time" my mother yells from the entrance of the church, her pleated printed chiffon dress billowing in the freezing air. It was autumn in Doncaster. A single golden leaf pirouetted down an invisible spiral of breeze, spinning through the air as it let itself be carried down. It shook slightly, as if it could have been whisked away any second by the grip of an icy wind, but it kept floating down the twirling course. It blew past my face and landed lightly on the ground, the shiny, vibrant color standing out against the amber and bronzes beneath it. It was so delicate, I wanted to reach down and pick it up and hold it close to my heart, smoothing out any creases, but something told me that it belonged there, this corpse of what was once summer.

My phone pinged.

"Don't go to the bar, Mitch told me the waiter's cute" Harry. I smiled at the stupid moron at the other end of the conversation. He owns my heart and my soul. Moron, nonetheless. 

"The one in my last wedding was cuter x" I text back cheekily and put my phone on silent, slipping it quickly in my pocket, but not before my mum shots me a death glare for making her wait outside in the chilly wind.  "Sorry, sorry." I pouted and shrugged. Can't ignore the husband to be. 

I straightened out my blazer as I followed her in, my shoes clicking loudly. It was a Gucci Monaco wool mohair suit that Harry's stylist, Harris Reed, had so fondly picked out from his favorite catalog. The church was still beautiful from inside, somethings never lose their charm. It still made me gasp. The familiarity and safety of the surrounding made me feel safe in a weird manner, like being held by an old friend. Not to mention, this church gave me my Harry. Something clicked. Maybe It was in the brisk temperature of the room, the buttery lighting. I did not feel nervous or rushed. I felt happy and light.

"Tomlinson !" Calvin's voice shot out, again. It felt like a peculiar phenomenon of deja vu, greeting us.  We are meeting after six long years, right here, in this church. Strangely, I don't even want to strangle him this time. I missed him. 

"Rodgers." I grinned tightly, hugging him "How have you been holding up, you old fart?" 

"Shut up, you sod. How did you manage to do this, shit, I just passed by Ed Sheeran near the chocolate fountain." He chuckled nervously, "He said hi to me and I almost choked on a strawberry. It was not a fun conversation, needless to say." 

"That's awfully rude of you, mate." I teased, "Now, Stevie Nicks is right behind you, go say hi and don't choke this time !" Calvin's eyes widened with awe and he weakly turned back, to see the Rock Star herself chatting away with Harry's mum. I couldn't even hold back a chuckle when I saw him visibly gasp. Calvin has loved Stevie Nicks since time immemorial, I remember he used to beg his mum to play Fleetwood Mac songs on her guitar. 

"James Blonde, hey !" I teased the Irish fool who shoved passed my shoulder, muttering something fervently to himself, "What's the rush ? Are you getting married or something?"

"Mate, mate, mate.I was looking for you everywhere ! Get your ass on the alter." Niall rushes past me, pushing me. He was adorned in a black suit with a navy blue bow tie, his hair almost brunette. "The ceremony was supposed to start twenty minutes back." He frets. 

"Niall, breathe. We don't have to catch a train, we certainly can and will, take our time. Now, breathe." I coaxed him, walking beside him slowly towards the alter. I take my time to absorb every detail Harry has put into the decor. It's pristine, lovely, really.