Chapter 32 - New Territory Always Brings New Troubles

Start from the beginning

"You're letting the rest of them track you down on purpose?"

It was the only explanation that made sense. Leaving that man alive would definitely leave a big clue for anyone else searching for them. Ru Qiang was probably trying to see who exactly from the jianghu was coming after them.

"En. My cloak will help them recognize me faster too."

Feng Yao had already guessed that that was the reason why he had suddenly decided to put it on. Although his cloak held no insignia or family symbol, it was still a unique style that was unusual and easy to recognize.

The dark blue fabric slightly shimmering in the sun was a high-class material that she'd never seen before. Even the white fur that lined the edges seemed to be of the highest quality.

At that moment, Xi'er suddenly called out.

"Young Master, shall we speed up? It'll take another three full days before we get to the border. I'm afraid that you'll be..."

Ru Qiang didn't reply. Curious, Feng Yao glanced behind her just to see that he was looking at her.

She immediately grinned and whispered, "Don't worry about my leg. The faster we get there, the better."

He nodded before calling out his orders to Xi'er and Li Yue. "We're speeding up. From this point on, we will not be stopping."

Both Xi'er and Li Yue seemed to let out a relieved sigh as they replied, "Understood!"

Feng Yao kept her smile on as she silently listened, but her thoughts hidden behind her dark eyes were swirling together violently.

There was a hidden meaning behind their words.

Ru Qiang whipped the reins, and immediately, their horse picked up speed until they were going at a full-blown sprint. The biting wind felt as though it was cutting into Feng Yao's face while their surroundings blurred into a single mess of colors. She tried her best not to be flung off as she leaned backwards against Ru Qiang's chest.

They rode for the entire day without stopping. The skies slowly became darker and darker until before long, the moon was already shining brightly above them all.

Feng Yao could feel herself nodding off at times, but she was never unable to completely close her eyes because of her body being constantly jolted around. There was also a dull burning ache in her legs, but she was unable to tell if it was because of riding on a horse for so long or if it was because of her wound.

She glanced behind her and studied Ru Qiang's expression. His face was as unreadable as ever, but with the moonlight shining down on him, it seemed as though his face was a bit paler than before. 

Her eyes narrowed. Underneath his inky eyes were slight bags that stood out on his flawless face. Perhaps he was more tired that Feng Yao had realized?

What exactly has he been doing since the last time I saw him?

"What are you doing?"

Feng Yao blinked at his face that was still staring straight ahead into the horizon. 

After a moment, she asked, "Where are we going?"

He paused as if thinking of how to answer her question. Finally, after some deliberation, he slowly said, "A safe house. One managed by the Jun Clan. You can stay there until your leg heals."

"Mhm...I see." Her voice was light as she replied, holding no trace of her inner thoughts.

The Jun Clan...How is it that I've never heard of them until I met Ru Qiang?