"I...I..." Eliza stumbles on her words, "I think that would be sensible."

"Then we have an accord?" Harrington holds out his hand. "Also it would do well not to tell Benjamin or Charlotte."

Eliza reaches out her hand and they shake once.

"I take it everyone has returned from the hunt?" Eliza asks standing and straightening her habit.

"They are all in the dining room, shall we join?" Harrington offers his arm.

"I should change." Eliza denies the offer. "A duchess shouldn't wear a habit to tea."

"Of course," Harrington drops his arm quickly, Eliza walks past him and out of the library.

Harrington sinks into the empty window seat and puts his head in his hands. He repeatedly tells himself that this is the right decision, a fake marriage then they go their separate ways. But why does he feel no relief? Why is he sad?

Several days later is the eve of Harrington's and Eliza's engagement ball. Charlotte arranged the entire event and came to Ryddan Manor early to help Eliza and Benjamin with the organisation of servants and final oversee. However mainly to ensure Eliza is ready for the evening. The house looks spectacular, waiters stand with flutes of champagne and canapes, a small orchestra is on a raised platform in front of the dance floor. Every single detail has been perfected by Charlotte so that the night will run like clockwork.

Harrington walks through the door at ten to six in a dashing black tux and top hat, he oozes sophistication and power. He looks around in approval at the house, the decor is stunning, much better than he could have planned.

"I cannot believe you are almost late for your own engagement ball." Charlotte strides over to him disapprovingly, carrying a sapphire encrusted comb, she looks nice in a pale pink gown and matching gloves. "Hat off."

Harrington gives his hat to a passing servant.

"I organise everything for you two, you could at least do me the courtesy of arriving when I request." She tells him sternly while straightening his clothes. Thomas hurries down the stair looking unusually flustered.

"Darling," He approaches Charlotte

"Yes?" Charlotte has moved on from Harrington and is straightening an arrangement on lilies.

"Eliza is being a little..."

"Oh, you panicked her didn't you?" Charlotte sighs.

"I didn't mean to!" Thomas protests defensively.

"Well, what did...?"

"Charlotte, Charlotte." Eliza runs down the stairs holding a shoe in each hand. "Charlotte I need you to..." She notices Harrington,

"Hello." She says politely.

"Good evening." He replies, "You look lovely."

In a royal blue dress with sweetheart neckline, she did look lovely, it isn't figure hugging but pools out at her waist into a long skirt, her hair has been tamed and done up in a sleek bun, not a hair out of place.

"Thank you," Eliza says before turning to Charlotte. "Please, can you tie the ribbon." She turns her to show where the ribbon goes around her waist and then falls away. Charlotte puts the comb into Eliza's bun first, she then ties the ribbon into an elegant bow.

"Put your shoes on it is almost six, people will be arriving soon." Charlotte orders glancing around to check every detail.

"Thomas go start up the music." She ushers her fiance away to the ballroom. Eliza struggles to put her heels on and almost falls but Harrington catches her just in time. Eliza smiles her thanks as she slips the last shoe on.

"Now you too need to stand there and greet the guests as they arrive." Charlotte pushes them into position, "Just make friendly conversations and introductions, nothing too technical."

"Understand?" She looks at the couple who have matching expressions of distaste. "Understand?"

"Yes." They both answer quickly.

"Oh no, where is Benjamin?" Charlotte looks around frantically. "He needs to be here with you."

"Eliza where is he?"

Eliza shrugs, "No idea."

"I cannot do up this damn...." Benjamin enters from the side fiddling with his cufflinks.

"Mr Turner." Charlotte marches over does up the cufflinks and takes grasp of his hand, "You need to stand next to Eliza and greet guests as this is your house and you are the host." She places his next to his niece and steps back to look at them all.

"Jasper, smile more." She says, "Eliza don't be sarcastic and Benjamin be yourself."

The grandfather clock chimes the hour just as the front door is knocked.

"Everyone calm?" Charlotte asks excitedly, "This is going to be successful, just remain calm and collected, I will be with Thomas if you need me."

Charlotte nods to the footman to open the door and begin the tidal wave of guests. Eliza winces as people flood into the hall.

"Here comes the hurricane."