Chapter 30 - Life in Locksley

The sound of men at work, hammering something in the manor, woke up Guy. The knight rolled on his side and he looked at the morning light filtering from the curtains. For once he had slept soundly, without nightmares.
He pushed the blanket aside and he got ready for another day, thanking mentally Thornton who had taken care to leave a tray with breakfast on the table. He was hungry.
When the sheriff had left him in Locksley, Guy had feared that he wouldn't be able to manage the village, that people wouldn't obey or respect him, but now, after a week, he was beginning to think that it could work. In the beginning, the villagers seemed to be scared of him, afraid that he could take a revenge on them, and they did what Guy ordered them, even if warily, as if they feared a trap.
But no trap came, and they were surprised that the evil Guy of Gisborne could choose to leave them unpunished after they had tried to kill him. But he gave them sensible orders, and the things he told them to do could really improve their chances of surviving winter: they collected food and firewood and they stored them, repaired the houses to shelter their families from cold, hunted little prey in the forest and collected edible plants, fruits and berries.
In turns, the able men worked on the manor to rebuild it. At first they were afraid of getting too close to the place where Gisborne lived and there were endless discussions to decide who would go to work there, but after a week with no accidents or problems, the men were beginning to volunteer because the ones who worked on the manor got a good pay and a free meal cooked by Thornton.

Guy had almost finished his breakfast, when Thornton knocked discreetly at the door before entering the main hall.
"Good morning my lord. Sorry to disturb you so early, but the healer, Matilda, would like to see you."
Guy smiled at him, pushing the empty dish aside and standing up.
"She came! Let her in!"
Thornton obeyed, and a moment later the woman entered the room. She looked at him for a short while, then she warmly smiled.
"I'm happy to see you, my boy! How are you? You look better!"
Guy stooped down to let her kiss him on the cheek.
"Actually, I feel better. I thought that living here would be a nightmare, but for now things are not so bad. They hadn't tried to kill me yet, at least."
Matilda glanced at the table.
"I see that you are eating, and you're not so pale anymore."
Guy nodded.
"There's a lot to do here, so many things to think about, that I don't have much time for anything else and at night I'm so tired that I fall asleep immediately. If I have dreams or nightmares, I don't remember them when I wake up."
"I'm glad to hear that. I was worried for you, but I see that you are doing well. I still miss your company, you know, but I'm relieved to see that you are fine."
"Do you really miss me?"
"Of course, silly man, don't look so surprised. I got used to having you around. I hope that when you won't be so much busy you'll find the time to visit us. I still have a lot to teach you... if you are still interested in it, of course. Now you have a village to manage and soon you'll have your own lands too, you don't need to become a healer anymore..."
Guy looked at her, a little hurt by her words.
"Do you think that I became your apprentice just because I had no other choice? It was true at the beginning maybe, but I found out that I like to learn how to heal people. After spending most of my life hurting them, to save lives makes me feel good. If you still want me, I'm eager to keep learning."
Matilda squeezed him in a hug.
"Of course I want you, you big oaf! But now show me what have you done here, what are you working on."
Guy smiled and he pointed at the changes he had made in the manor to improve it and make the two rooms habitable.
"Thornton is a big help. He could find two real beds in less than two days, very comfortable too. Mine is there, behind that curtain, while Robin's is in the other room. His is made of strong wood, heavy and sturdy enough if we should need to tie him to it. I hope it won't be necessary, though. I checked and fixed the other room to make it both safe and cozy, it should be ready for him now, even if I'm not sure if this is going to work..."
Matilda nodded.
"I'm worried too, but Robin can't spend the winter in the forest, it will be better for everyone if he will accept to live here. I will stay in Locksley too, at least until he will be settled. Don't worry, I won't leave you alone in this, we'll organize everything to make it work. Show me the room, maybe I can give you some other suggestion and if it's ready, I'll take him here soon."
Guy nodded, even if he feared the moment when Hood would be under his responsibility.
Matilda checked the room and she was satisfied, telling Guy to make just a few minor changes.
"How are the others?" Guy asked.
"They are getting used to their new status. They had been outlaws for years and now they own their own lands. It seems strange to them. They are living at the camp for now, while they are deciding what to do with their new estates. Little Alice is learning to walk now, Rosa is very busy running after her to keep her safe."
"Is Rosa's husband still at war? Do you have any news from him?"
Matilda sighed.
"How could we get news? He's just a common soldier, how could he send a message to his wife, even if he were able to write?"
"Maybe you should accept the reward of the sheriff, for them at least. Rosa's husband could never come back. War is dangerous, soldiers get killed, and even if they survive they could come home sick or crippled..."
Matilda noticed the sadness in his eyes and she knew that Guy was talking of somebody very close to him. But his words were sensible, she had to admit.
"I value my freedom too much to accept a gift from the sheriff. An important present comes with obligations, he'd expect my blind loyalty to him at least, and I'm not one to follow rules and duties. But maybe you are right. Rosa is not like me, she doesn't have the gift of being a healer. She learned something about the herbs and how to care for a wounded man and she helps me, but she doesn't like it. When she got married, she dreamed of having a nice house, a family..."
"She could have it. The sheriff can give her a house and the means to raise Alice. Here or in Nottingham, or in any of the villages. He needs the help of everyone to rebuild the county."
Matilda looked at him.
"Do you trust this new sheriff?"
"For now he seems to be good enough, but I think I will never trust again anyone as blindly as I did with Vaisey."
The healer nodded.
"Good idea. Trust your heart, usually it offers the best advice."
Guy thought of Marian and he wasn't so sure that he could trust the sensibility of his heart when the girl was around, but he said nothing, choosing to change subject, instead.
"Matilda? Thornton told me that you refused to treat the people of Locksley..."
"You can bet! I don't help those who hurts the people I love! Those idiots almost killed you and Marian, they don't deserve my remedies."
Guy was moved by her vehemence and for a moment he was afraid he couldn't hold back grateful tears, but he succeeded in hiding his commotion by looking out of the window for a moment. Once he could hide his feelings better, trapping them behind a wall of ice, but it was more difficult now.
When he felt in control of his emotions again, he turned back to her.
"Would you change your mind? Thornton says that a few of them are really sick and that the quacks they had called couldn't heal them."
"Do you want me to help the people who almost killed you?!"
"I'd want to hang them all, if I think of that," Guy blurted, "but obviously I can't. For the good of the village, it would be better to have all its inhabitants in good health. And after all, you took care of me, even if I hurt so many people, how could I deny them a second chance?"
"You have changed, Guy of Gisborne!" The woman exclaimed. "Very well, I'll treat those people, but I have a condition: I'll need the assistance of my apprentice! Come on, what are you waiting for? Take my bag and follow me."