What's next?

George sat in a Tim Horton’s sipping black coffee and resisting the urge to have a maple donut. His body might be a temple, but that didn’t mean he was totally celibate. He could resist anything except Tim-tation, as Oscar Wilde would surely have said if he were in his place. Another five minutes and the donut would be a necessity for his survival.

He hadn’t seen his brother in months. It was a busy time of year for Peter, and he had reluctantly agreed to meet him “just for a coffee.” And the fact that he was late showed that they were meeting on his time. George had expected as much, and could hardly believe he had called him. It really galled him that he was even considering this.

All he ever heard from his parents was about his expensive university education, and how after all that he was just a bicycle messenger. Look at your brother Peter, he’s doing better than you and he never even went to college. When are you going to show some ambition? Do something constructive with your life?

But Peter had never bugged him about it. He was easy-going, affable. Never had any big dreams as a kid, just wanted to make a decent living, have a lot of friends, wife, kids, the whole deal. And he got exactly that. I guess there was a benefit to knowing what you wanted. Or maybe it was wanting simple things. And then there he was coming in the outer doors. An inch shorter than George, but with a more muscular upper body, and much shorter hair. He was wearing khaki shorts and a white t-shirt under a navy work shirt with his company name stitched on it. Looking tired and sweaty but still clean-shaven and professional.

“Hey, Pete!” He waved him over as he came in the door.

“Hey, little brother. Is that a new earring?”

“No, same as last time,” George said as he stood up to give Pete a hug. “You getting a coffee?”

“No time,” said Pete, although he sat down as if it felt really good to do so.

“C’mon. Take five minutes. I’m buying.”

“Well, in that case. Make it a fancy café mocha or something.”

George got in line and looked up at the menu board for these fancy coffees Pete was on about. It was probably some kind of powdered crap, but if that's what he wanted, then so be it. He wondered what Pete would think of what he was going to say. Part of him was reluctant to even make the suggestion, let alone hear his brother's response. He didn't like having to rely on other people; the self-sufficiency and independence of the courier life was something he cherished. He was next in line when his phone burbled with Chuck putting out a call. Shit, he hated to miss a pick-up. He pulled it off his belt and switched off the 2-way radio part and switched his phone to silent.

With an English Toffee Cappuccino in tow, George returned to the table to get on with it. “So how’s business?”

Pete pulled the cup over in front of him and took a sip. “Busy as all hell. Which is why I don’t like to meet in the afternoon. Gotta make hay while the sun shines, know what I mean?”

“Yeah. So, listen. I’ve been thinking about your offer.”

“You’ve gotta be kidding. I never thought I’d hear you say that. I thought Gina was pregnant or something. That’s fantastic! I always said we’d make a great team. When can you start, ‘cause I could really use an extra hand right now.”

“Not so fast. We’re just talking about possibilities here. I like the idea of working outside, and I don’t mind hard work, but I can’t be all about mowing lawns and clipping hedges.”

“Well, that’s the business, my son. What’d you think you’d be doing?”

“That’s what I wanted to talk about. I have a little money saved up, and I was hoping you’d let me buy in as a partner for some of the start-up costs.”

“What start-up costs?”

“I was thinking we could take the business in a new direction. I’d like to get into landscape design. Maybe look at doing custom decks and gazebos. We could offer the whole package: design, build and service.”

Pete sipped at his coffee and surveyed George's face. “And you’ll hack it out on the laptop while I do the heavy lifting, eh?”

“Not at all. I want to be involved in all aspects of the business. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty, and I love working in the great outdoors.

Pete laughed. “I was only pullin' your chain.”

“We’d just sub out the labor for the actual building part of it, or eventually take on some carpenters. For all our customers on the design and build, we could give them a discount on ongoing lawn maintenance and eventually pick up quite a client list. And vice versa for your existing customers. Give them all a brochure and offer to quote on a job.”

“Yeah, give 10% off the usual rate. Maybe a little something for referrals, too. That could work.” He drank about half his coffee in one long swallow and sat there nodding for a second. “This is quite an idea, Georgey. Let me think about it. Mull it over some. Why don’t you put some numbers together for me, and we’ll talk about it on Sunday. You and Gina come for dinner.”

“Great. You won’t be disappointed.”

“No, I don’t believe I will. You’re not going to try to turn me into an archie-tectural firm, now, are ya?”

“Couldn’t do it even if I wanted to.”

Peter laughed again and stood up. “Gotta get back at it. But you’ve really intrigued me, here. This idea is growing on me.”

“Just you wait. See you Sunday, Pete.”

“See you.”

Damn, his parents were going to love this one. Which was the biggest downside of the whole idea. He had become comfortable with his role as a disappointment. Oh, well. George gulped the last of his barely warm coffee, and was feeling so pleased with himself, he got another one, and a maple donut.