Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Rose ran and hugged her Aunt Casey who was sitting at the dining room table crying. “She will be found unharmed, please don’t cry.” She didn’t know what else to say. She prayed her words were true.

“Rose?” Came the soft spoken word from behind her. She took a deep breath and turned to see Mrs. Steel behind her. She walked in carrying a tea cup and placed it in front of her Aunt Casey. “Child, you have no idea how much we’ve missed you.

When she turned to face her, Steels grandmother’s eyes almost popped out of their socket. Rose covered her mound protectively. Then smiled, “They’re twins, that’s why my belly seems bigger than it should. Dad said twins don’t run on mom’s side or the man that was my dad’s family. Do they run on your side of the family?”

Rose was aware she was babbling, but she does that every time she gets nervous. Mrs. Steel sensed that and just came and hugged her. Rose sniffled not wanting to blubber all over again. Plus, the doctor said it was bad for the babies.

She heard the giggling before she saw Steels daughter enter the room. “Rose” she squealed as she ran but her grandmother caught her before she crashed into her.

“Emily, you have to be gentle with Rose.” The little girl observed Rose, as if trying to figure out why.

“I missed you, daddy said you had to go away for a little while. But that you would come home soon and that you would be my new mommy. He said you would give me lots of brothers and sisters.” Her little mouth made a perfect little O. Is that why I has to be careful. My baby is in there?” When little Emily walked to her and placed her hands on her little belly. Rose lost it and cried.

How mean was Steel for telling his daughter all those lies. How mean was it that for a split second, Rose believed them. Casey got up and took Emily’s hand and walked her to the barn. The poor thing had no idea what was going on. Casey explained that when there is a baby in a mommy’s stomach. She cries for anything. Rose laughed through her tears.

She took a seat and Mrs. Steal went to get her a glass of water. It was at that moment that He walked in. Rose thanked the heavens that she had scooted closer to the table. He would not be able to see her belly in that position.

“Rose” She studied his face, Like her uncle, he too seemed to have aged in the time she had been gone. It was probably from all that searching for Hope.