Chapter 8

They say it's better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all. I say screw the person that said that.

Chapter 8

This is the end.

There was no rest for Rose that night. Her life had fallen apart where she stood. Where she read what that horrible woman had done. She wouldn't even give her the honor of calling her by the name only her mother Maranda had earned. How can the flesh of her flesh leave her and another who was not related take her in as her own?

She was feeling rejected, hurt, and alone.

That woman had cheated on her dad. She gave an ironic laugh. Her father Joshua, who wasn't her father at all. Yet like Maranda, he had taken her in and cared for her as his own. Yet why hide the truth? Why not tell her.

That was what hurt her the most. The fact that they thought so little of her, the fact that they didn't have the decency to tell her.

In that moment Rose was battling her demons. Will she be able to get over them? Only time would tell. Yet on his own side Steel too was faced with the demons of his past. Having asked for the day off. He had to finish this once and for all.

So he bee lined it back home. Where a very pissed off bitch waited for him. As always she was dressed to the nines. The talons she called nails as long as ever. One would wonder what the hell she could do without them getting in the way. Yet he had been so stupid and in lust at the time he hadn't even thought about it until it was too late.

She didn't cook, she didn't clean and she didn't do a god damn thing. If it weren't for. "It's about time!" she screeched stopping his thoughts.

"Well good morning to you too." He said sarcastically.

She sneered at him, making him wonder just what he had found attractive in her. She was nothing like. He stopped his own trail of thoughts that time. There was no way he was going there. "I have been waiting for you. Let's do this and be done with it." He glared at the use of her words as he snatched the papers from her hands.

Once everything was signed she smirked at him. "Finally, it's time to live the life I was meant to live." He glared at her as he exited the office. Good riddance was all he thought as he drove to his apartment. He had to calm himself down before he called Mike Codey and resigned from the job.

Damn, but he was going to miss the job and the people he had started to enjoy. He frowned as his thoughts were straying again. He didn't have time to think about this. There were things that were more important that needed his attention at the moment.

Meanwhile back at Joshua Millers house. He had received a letter from the lawyer also, yet he wasn't feeling in the mood to let the past disturb his perfect life. He didn't want to remember that woman. The only good thing she did was give him his daughter.

Maranda came from behind and hugged him. "You should open it, think of it like a band aid. Rip it fast so it only hurts for a couple seconds." He smiled as he flipped her over his head and onto his lap.

"You my dear wife, are a very smart woman. Have I told you that I love you today?" He asked a he nuzzled her neck with his nose. She laughed and batted him away.

"Only about a dozen times dear husband, but I never tier of hearing it." She smiled up at him before he kissed her.

"You have got to be kidding! No wonder Rose had to move to another state." Their son said as he walked away. That only made the couple laugh as they proceeded to kiss again.

It seems everyone's life was as it should be. Yet when Mike Codey received the call that Rose didn't call or show up, he worried. On top of that, when he received the call from Steel, he worried even more. The life of his family was at stake. So he compromised with Steel and it seems they will be arriving tomorrow. He wiped his brow. One down, one more to go he thought, but he would go see her tomorrow if she didn't show up then. He could forgive her one night of partying. She must really be hung over..