Chapter 6

I opened my account yesterday to the flood of votes... at least for me, it's a flood. Wow.

Hello to @ShobhaOjha @lollyace @ShellyAnnLindo !

Chapter 6

Valerie

I flung open the closet, feverish eyes scanning my clothes. I was in my bathrobe, just after a shower that did nothing to cool me down.

Why are you so angry? I asked myself. But just the thought of Zachary escorting his secretary out of our penthouse boiled my blood.

I focused on the task at hand, an array of fabrics beckoning my search. These were the clothes I swore were vulgar and bordering immoral. The clothes I swore were not mine. But today...

Perfect.

I pulled out a glittery silver gown and haphazardly tried it on. A halter-top evening dress molded my upper half and dropped down from my waist. But that wasn't the highlight of the gown. The neckline was plunging down just above my navel, exposing plenty of the globes of my breasts. The back of it... had no upper back at all, scooping dangerously close to the curves of my bottom and dropping down to the floor in shimmery fabric. Should I add that it also had one leg exposed by a slit on the side of the gown?

Was it too much? But just remembering Valerie in her tight red corporate clothes made me think not. I found my suitcase beneath one rack and quickly found the makeup kit I saw there. I applied shadows on my eyes, blush on my check and the red lipstick I ignored that day.

As if I've done this a thousand times before.

I couldn't even feel amazed at the precision I did my makeup. I chose a pair of red strappy five-inched heels and finished my look by letting down my wavy hair.

With a smile to myself, I got out of the room.

Susan was standing just by the stairs and her eyes widened at the sight of me. And not in the good way.

"Scarlett, dear..." the blatant disapproval in her soft voice irked me.

"What?" I asked with an eyebrow raised.

She flinched at my tone, shaking her head, before turning to the foot of the stairs. I followed her gaze only to be met by electric blue eyes.

Zach was standing just beneath the last step in a gray suit, staring intently at me. He said nothing, did nothing, and his blank face read no emotion as it took in the poor excuse of a gown I was wearing.

Then he looked away.

And that hurt. Don't ask me why. But I still lifted the corners of my mouth and started down the staircase.

"Well, are we going to the party or what?" I tried for nonchalance but my voice came out tight.

Zach's eyes flickered to me, "Davidson is waiting with the car downstairs."

"Zachary—" Susan seemed to protest but Zach immediately cut her off.

"We'll be home late, Susan. You don't need to wait up."

Zachary started for the door, not waiting for me. I took one last glance at Susan before following Zach. She was looking in my direction too. And I had to ponder the look she was giving me. She hadn't given me that look before now.

Earlier, she was looking at me like I was a stranger she was getting to know. But just now...

She looked at me like she knew exactly who I was.