Chapter 21 - His Treasure

Y'all ready for the end?

''(Y/N)!''

The sound of heavy footsteps sound closer to her and she can just faintly hear them and her name being yelled over and over again. Two arms wrap themselves under hers, lifting her up slightly.  ''Oh God... (Y/N).''

The woman's eyes wearily open and she grimaces in pain. Through the small opening her eyes had created, she captures the worried face of Nate, lifting her out of the crashed helicopter.

''Come on, can you stand?'' He asks, his voice dripping with concern and he places her arm around his shoulders. Coughing, she opens her eyes wider and places her hand on his chest.

''I'm okay, I'm okay.'' She whispers. Nate has one arm around her waist as his other hand cups her cheek, leaning her head back. 

''Are you alright?'' He asks, his eyes glazed with tears. (Y/N) gives him a soft smile, not having time to reply as Navarro stands behind Nate.

''Nate!'' She points to their enemy and he turns, glancing down and then back at the destroyed helicopter.

''Watch out.'' He warns, pushing her behind him as he places his shoulder on the side of it. Giving it a nudge, Nate stands back up and rams his shoulder fully and by the push, it starts to fall off the side.

(Y/N) realises the rope hooked to the statue was wrapped around in a circle around Navarro's foot and she gives a small smile. 

Nate comes back over to her and she holds her arms out, pulling him close and he wrap her in his embrace.

''Adios, asshole.'' Nate spits, the anger laced in his voice. The rope tightens and the helicopter falls, pulling along Navarro and the statue. He screams, trying to find something to grab onto as he slides across the deck before both him and El Dorado disappear into the sea.

Nate and (Y/N) take a glance over the edge. Her arm slides around his waist and he lies his across  her shoulder. Sighing a huge sigh of relief, she cuddles Nate, her head burying in his chest as she tries to forget the last few moments.

Across the water, there's the sound of an engine, making (Y/N) break from their embrace and walk over to the railing. Sully steers a smaller boat and as he sees the pair, he waves. Elena stood beside him, a grin plastered on her face.

Waving back, (Y/N) smiles as Nate comes behind her, leaning on the rail. He looks down at his hands that were riddled with filth and she turns, resting her back on the cool metal.

''Quite a day.'' She breaks the silence and he chuckles, looking back up.

''Yeah - yeah, save the world, triumph over evil, pretty typical.'' Nate replies, making her laugh. ''It's a shame we're leaving empty handed, though.'' He adds, frowning.

''Oh well, you know, I... I managed to save one thing.'' (Y/N) states, digging around in her pockets. Dangling the chain, the ring of Sir Francis Drake hangs at the end and Nate's eyes widen.

''Nate, you were gonna miss this eventually.'' She reminds him, making him duck his head so she could place it around his neck, where it belonged.

They both stare at the ring and she notices how close they had become; mere inches away from each other as her hands rests on his chest. She taps it slightly, tapping out a gentle rhythm that was soothing and comforting to him if nothing else.

''Thanks.'' He breathes and she nods. Nate then takes her hand and ever so slowly begins to lean in. Smiling, (Y/N) moves closer and he stops a few centimetres away, making her breathing quicken.

''I'm glad you're okay. If you didn't survive that crash, I don't know what I would've done.'' He admits in a hushed tone, his breath making her shiver.

''You wouldn't have been able to do this.'' She whispers back. Their lips brush against each other, but the sound of Sully's voice drifting across the waves make them pull apart.

''You two got a funny idea of romantic.'' He shouts, pretending to be annoyed, but he had a smirk on his face.

Nate grits his teeth, plastering a smile as he turns to look at him down below. ''Sully! Wow. You - look like hell.'' Elena chuckles, patting Sully on the back. ''You should see the other guys!'' She comments.

''Got us a boat.'' Sully gestures to the boat he was stood on.

''Uh, we already have a boat.'' (Y/N) replies, pointing to theirs. ''Yeah. Big boat.'' Nate adds. Their boat was practically twice the size of the one Sully had, but he laughs at their comment. ''I like this one better.'' He says and Elena pulls of the cover that stood in the middle.

The pair look on in shock at the crates of treasure stacked up. Elena and Sully laugh at their reactions and they glance at each other before back down at the shimmering jewels and gold pieces.

''Sully, you beautiful son of a bitch!'' Nate shouts, chuckling.

''Borrowed it off a couple of pirates who were too dead to care.'' Sully explains.

***

Sully glides their boat gracefully across the still water. Elena sits next to him, lost in chat as he listens on, adding in and agreeing with whatever she says.

(Y/N) sits on the edge of a crate, deep in thought. She hears Nate's footsteps and then watches him pass, heading towards the end of the boat, his hands wrapping around the cold metal at the end. Pushing herself off, she stands next to him, brushing her arm against his.

''Hey.''

He smiles and looks at her. ''Hey. How are you doing?''

''Tired and battered, bruised. A bit hungry, not gonna lie.'' She replies, shrugging. ''You owe me one.''

Confused, he raises his eyebrows. ''Since when?''

''Since I saved your ass from those pirates way before shit hit the fan!'' (Y/N) exclaims and Nate scoffs. ''I say we're even, since I saved yours from Navarro and the burning helicopter.'' He counters and she puffs her cheeks out before groaning. ''Fine.''

Nate shakes his head as he puts his arm around her, pulling her into his side. She stares up at him and he gives her a cocky smirk. He smelt of ash and earth as she breathes it in, sighing with relaxation.

''You owe me.'' Nate suddenly speaks up and (Y/N) pulls away. ''I thought we were even?'' She questions. and he shakes his head. ''Not that.''

Frowning, it takes her a moment to realise what he means. ''Ohhh.'' She hums and he tuts, letting her arms go around his neck and his automatically slide around her waist.

The bright orange rays from the sun set the perfect mood as the water glistens. The boat moves at a steady space and they drown out the conversation of Elena and Sully.

"We may have pirate treasure, but..." Nate pauses before continuing. "...but, you're my greatest treasure (Y/N)."

Her smile widens at his words as he presses a gentle kiss, their lips moving in sync and she feels him smile into it.

In that moment, (Y/N) felt safe. The sun behind them made the perfect background as the cooling breeze danced and swirled around them. All she could think about was Nate's lips on her and the start of something new.

The beginning of a great matter.