Chapter 23: On the Small Peak [Extra Long]

Start from the beginning

Sensing Ling Xiao softening, the Emperor took back his hand and called out, "Ling Xiao."

"Your servant is here." Ling Xiao restrained his gaze and perked up his ears.

The Emperor leaned against the chair, saying, "Concerning the list in the case, We are very satisfied."

Ling Xiao quietly let out a breath, then smiling got up and saluted, "It's good that Your Majesty is satisfied. This servant did not bring dishonor to the task."

Seeing this, the Emperor's gaze softened, and he asked, "What do you want as a reward?"

He did not wait for Ling Xiao's reply before he said some more, "Although We are not fond of homosexuality, seeing that you have done a meritorious deed and are considerate, We shall grant you one wish."

Ling Xiao, who had finally loosened up, stiffened again. He had a bad premonition.

With a smile in his eyes, he shot him a glance and said, "This wish can be having Us make you into our First Consort. We can also make you our King Consort."

TL Note: They are just gender flip titles of normal versions, but consort is pretty gender neutral in the first place so I'm using that. Consort as in Concubine. King Consort is Huang Jun, the regular version is Empress (Huang Hou) so just the last character was switched, basically a male Empress.

"......" Ling Xiao's heart went weak and he fell with a "plop", kneeling in front of the Emperor.

The Emperor raised an eyebrow, looking toward Ling Xiao.

Ling Xiao knelt on the ice-cold ground, his heart madly beating. He naturally could not accept this "reward", but the situation was quite troublesome. Since the Emperor had seen the paper and already believed without a doubt that it described his thoughts, then if he were to speak out that it was a misunderstanding, the Emperor would lose face. If he were to say it was true, then if the Emperor someday found out it wasn't true, his ending would still be miserable.

However, compared to that possibility in the future, Ling Xiao chose to first cross over the crisis in front of his eyes.

With these thoughts, Ling Xiao summoned up his courage and said with clenched teeth, "Your Majesty, please take back the reward!"

Hearing what he said, the warmth in the Emperor's eyes vanished and he expressionlessly stared at Ling Xiao, "Give Us a reason."

Ling Xiao clenched his fist and pressed his luck, "Your servant likes being the Eunuch Steward more."

The Emperor lifted his head when he heard that. His eyes stared piercingly at ling Xiao for a long time, as if he wanted to understand him thoroughly, "Compare to being a master, you like being a servant?"

Ling Xiao nodded with his lips pursed.

The Emperor's face went cold.

Ling Xiao hurriedly bowed his head and said, "Because this way, this servant can be by Your Majesty's side every day."

The Emperor stared at him blankly for a moment. Ling Xiao deliberately dipped his head very low so that the Emperor was unable to see if his expression was genuine or fake, "Your Majesty, if this servant becomes one of the consorts in your harem or your King Consort, then this servant would be unable to serve you at all times. This servant would also be unable to stay by your side all day. To this servant... that's very painful."

"Rather than becoming a master and wait every night... every night for the Emperor to come, this servant would rather remain as a servant, who is able to serve the Emperor. As long as this one can stay by Your Majesty's side, this servant is perfectly content."