Chapter 32: Family.

Start from the beginning

"I do know you actually. Let me guess. She suggested you make one thing and you made five," he said as if it was a joke.

"Seven, actually."

"Seven??? Jess, you didn't have to do all this. I think you went a little overboard," he told me.

"Of course I did. You've known me for five years now. I always do everything to the max. You really shouldn't be surprised," I said.

"You're right. I'm not really surprised. So, what is on the list of things you're making?" he asked.

"Let's see. There's apple pie. Pecan pie. Pumpkin pie. Mississippi Mud Pie. So many pies. Then there's walnut pastries, cheesecake, and.... Wait that's only six. There's one more."

"Which one are you forgetting?"

"Oh my god. I forgot to make the cookies," I suddenly realized.

"Jess, don't worry about it. I'm sure it's fine. You've done enough," he tried to tell me.

"No, I have to. Everybody likes it. It's the ONE thing your mother asked for," I told him.

I don't know how I forgot about the cookies. I must've just been so caught up in doing everything else, that it slipped my mind. It's the obvious thing I should've been focused on. Instead, I was worried about making so many other things, trying to impress his family.

"No, you're right. You have to make them. If you don't, it'll ruin Christmas," he teased me.

"Very funny, Brian," I said sarcastically.

"Well do you have everything you need? I can help you make them," he offered.

I couldn't help but chuckle. I don't think I've ever seen Brian even attempt baking. He managed to cook simple things but overall seems very uncomfortable in the kitchen. Brian always tells me that I'm a better chef than him, but maybe that was just his way of getting out of doing any cooking or baking...

"It's okay, really. I can handle it," I told him.

"Why don't you let me help? I'm not completely useless. And you can teach me the secret to these delicious cookies," he said.

"Ok, fine. Maybe I could use your help..." I relented.

"So, what can I do to help you, my love?"

"First off, you'll need this," I said, as I handed him my spare apron. It was red with white polka dots on it, and frills all over. It wasn't very masculine, but it was his favorite color.

"At least it's red..." he commented, as he put the apron over his head and tied it around his waist.

I was so used to baking on my own, but it was nice to have Brian's help. He was like my baking assistant. I measured out all the ingredients, and he would put them into the stand mixer. We had already added the butter, sugars, vanilla, and eggs. When it was time to add the flour, I warned Brian that he should go slow.

"Why can't I just put the whole thing..." he started to say, but he didn't really need me to answer that question.

You're supposed to add a little at a time so the flour can absorb into the mixture. Otherwise, it'll just pop right back up, and splatter everywhere. I watched as Brian poured the entire cup of flour into the bowl, as the mixer was still going. Now the countertop, and Brian's face, was covered in flour. Brian looked at me with this apologetic smile, as if he had ruined the dough. I wasn't mad, because I could always just add more flour. Instead, I burst out into uncontrollable laughter.